• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real Mc Coy New Zealand Rough Wear?

atkins

I'm still saving up paycheck to purchase RMNZ's Rough Wear A-2. May i see your RMCNZ Rough Wear A-2 photos, just for keeping the mood and to stare at after a long day at work?

Regards,
Atkins

ties70

Hello Atkins,

here we go...

rmnzfronttotal.jpg

rmnzfrontside2.jpg

rmnzfrontside.jpg

rmnzback.jpg

rmnzflattotal.jpg

rmnzcollarlabel.jpg

rmnzcollar.jpg

rw.jpg

Here is a comparison of my RW RMNZ (on top), my Aero Real Deal and my RW Dubow

aafcpl.jpg

Regards,

Ties

Roughwear

The RMNZ RW 16159 is a tremendous jacket. I was lucky enough to buy a russet example on the forum a few weeks ago in a size 46 which fits like a wartime size 44. The leather is thick and it is a fairly accurate copy of this rare original contract. I put on original slider with the pre-war rectangular pull on mine as some originals had this type of Talon zip. Others had a Crown like the 1401p and 23380 contracts.

Jason

A russet goat resides in my collection, and I have to say its been an under-appreciated jacket. I'm wearing it more often now, and hopefully after it breaks in properly, it'll be really really nice.

Picture006.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Here is a comparison between the goatskin and the horsehide that RMCNZ offer:
Picture005.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

As new from the factory, without the sleeves being shortened to suit my short arms (Paddy at RMCNZ said they make the sleeves long to begin with so they can be shortened as the customer requires):
UpA-2Goat1.jpg

Andrew

Ties, yours is a good advertisement for RM, it really looks fantastic and you're lucky and have an older one made from the kind of hide where the top surface gradually wears off. The ones they now sell don't do that however.

TankBuster

I had one, and even with a brillo pad, it didn't come off. I couldn't stand
the overly shiny finish. I ended up selling it. Nice jacket, but the finish, on
mine at least, looked nothing like the real thing.

ties70

Leadsky said:
Ties, yours is a good advertisement for RM, it really looks fantastic and you're lucky and have an older one made from the kind of hide where the top surface gradually wears off. The ones they now sell don't do that however.

Andrew,

I have to admit that most of the wear came from the prevoius owner, our fellow member Bevan!
I did not wear the jacket to often because the RW pattern that RMNZ offers is very trim...even though the fit looks allright on the pics, the jacket felt very restrictive to wear.

Second thing was that the HH was the heaviest and stiffest hide I ever had on an A-2. I couldn't get used to it and so I sold it on E-Bay.

Nevertheless, the jacket looked just great and the surface wear was absolutely beautiful.

Regards,

Ties

atkins

............... the HH was the heaviest and stiffest hide I ever had on an A-2

Ties,this is the quality i'm looking for, after all i'm going to abuse the jacket in terms of daily wear on a bike. Thanks for the photos to stare, man, the waiting for the funds is unbearable. I'm waiting for Paddy's email containing the Choc Russet they have on sale.

Jason, is that Goat skin? it looks thick ! the grain makes the color more matte, very good looking jacket.

Regards,
Atkins

Jason

Yes, my RMCNZ Rough Wear repro is goatskin - and while it is thick, its not overly so - probably about G-1 thickness actually. It desperately needs more wear & breaking in time which I'm giving it now. The finish on it is less noticable due to the pebbly texture, but its still fairly shiny... in real life its about half way between the RMCNZ pic on the mannequin, versus my pictures, for both sheen and colour. Its definitely not as shiny or as orange as the mannequin pic, but not quite as dull or dark as my pics show... probably the close up of the collar & spec label of mine is as close to reality as you'll get.
Shame RMCNZ no longer offer russet goatskin as an option, I really like the colour, which is why I snapped up one of the last few remaining ones they had.

A

Anonymous

Gotta be honest with you- if you can wait for 90 days and can afford it the Goodwear Roughwear 27752 is far more accurate a copy of an A-2. I'm on vacation now but when I get back I'll post pics of my new one. It is dead on IMO. Just my 2 cents- John is making far and away the best COPIES at this point (which is what I want in a repro anyway). Get a 27752 in his new horsehide and you won't have to age, hot water, mold the collar or anything-- it'll look just right.

Roughwear said:
I put on original slider with the pre-war rectangular pull on mine as some originals had this type of Talon zip. Others had a Crown like the 1401p and 23380 contracts.
Professor, some 1401p jackets had Crowns, some didn't. I saw two in the past six months with Talons original to the respective jackets.

MikeyB-17

Some damn fine looking jackets here, boys-interesting to note the stitched triangle in the knit, the one Aero refuse to reproduce because they say it'll tear the knit. Anyone here ever experience knit tearing due to that triangle?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
MikeyB-17 said:
Anyone here ever experience knit tearing due to that triangle?

No, most of it is also stitched through the leather, so it's perfectly strong, and there's no strain on it.

I didn't know that Aero left it off ... how odd.

Grant

Bseal,
The horsehide on your painted RMNZ looks amazing! Here's a photo of my old sz. 42 seal goat RMNZ RW. Really nice jacket but I eventually sold it back to the original owner as it was a bit small on me. Grant
sealrmnz.jpg

bseal

My RW is marked as a 50 but fits as a large 46 / small 48. A super comfortable jacket. I can see on Ties, how tight that jacket is in the armhole region. In their A-2s, I find I need to go up almost two sizes from my U.S. suit jacket size.

Jerome does some good painting Grant. I never realized that yours was goatskin before. How did it compare to their horse in terms of malleability?

MikeyB-17

deeb7 said:
MikeyB-17 said:
Anyone here ever experience knit tearing due to that triangle?

No, most of it is also stitched through the leather, so it's perfectly strong, and there's no strain on it.

I didn't know that Aero left it off ... how odd.

A quick glance at their website reveals that they don't mention it in their descriptions any more. For the 'Anniversary' and 'Real Deal' jackets they made a point of saying they wouldn't reproduce the triangle stitching, as 'everybody knows it tears the knit'-they said sticking a big leather needle through the knit caused it to tear. I can clearly remember Ken Calder mentioning this on the Classic 20th when the Anniversary first appeared. It was part of their 'we don't reproduce faults' ethos. I don't know if they still don't do it, but I would imagine not.

Roughwear

Miles_Archer said:
Roughwear said:
I put on original slider with the pre-war rectangular pull on mine as some originals had this type of Talon zip. Others had a Crown like the 1401p and 23380 contracts.
Professor, some 1401p jackets had Crowns, some didn't. I saw two in the past six months with Talons original to the respective jackets.

Miles, you must have been mistaken-these were ELC jackets you saw! :lol:

Grant

The goatskin on this jacket is pretty pliable. Compared to the most recent RMNZ horsehides I've seen it's about the same. I also have the last russet goatskin RW that Paddy had on the sale rack a couple years ago and the goat on that one was a bit stiffer at first but has really broken in nicely.

Yeah, Jerome really is a master with a paint brush. I asked him to paint directly on the leather and try and stick to the primitive style hoping to replicate what was painted on the nose of my Dad's B-26.