• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real AVG Chest Patch

a2jacketpatches

Sold by Flying Tiger Antiques, Ron is a stand up guy / dealer that can be trusted. I talked with him on many occasions when living in MA. I haven't seen this one before.

JDAM

I seem to recall this jacket selling some years ago. Photos etc. were circulated by the owner for comment. At the time, the general opinion was that the jacket lacked provenance and was a hard sell. I am surprised to see it with COA etc. This multi-piece AVG patch stands alone as the only example of its kind.

Skip

Just about the jacket, with knit colour and collar style would that be a Dubow 1755?

a2jacketpatches

I've got my doubts now looking at the the name tag font, strikingly similar to the modern Tandy font I have at the other end of my shop. And the patch? I really want it to be real but hmmmmm.

TankBuster

I believe the consensus/true story on that one is that it indeed was owned by Bolster, but the jacket and patch were both acquired after his AVG days, although still during WW2. Therefore it cannot be called a original AVG period made patch. It can however be called a WW2 period produced patch which can make things confusing.

I was offered the jacket quite a few years back but passed due to the lack of provenance and the wildly high ask. Not sure what Ron sold it for, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

a2jacketpatches

TankBuster said:
I believe the consensus/true story on that one is that it indeed was owned by Bolster, but the jacket and patch were both acquired after his AVG days, although still during WW2. Therefore it cannot be called a original AVG period made patch. It can however be called a WW2 period produced patch which can make things confusing.

I was offered the jacket quite a few years back but passed due to the lack of provenance and the wildly high ask. Not sure what Ron sold it for, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

Well I feel a little better about it now even though that font is so close to the Tandy one. I like the patch and will model one of mine after it.

dmar836

Most original jackets with period patches are worn down not greased over. I find it interesting that colors aren't worn down much at all but that there is a significant buildup of grease and dirt on top of both the patch and tag. Even more than on the cuffs, etc.
It has an old look but not the same old look IMO. Not without paper and pics.

Dave