• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RCAF painted Airgunners Irvin

Andrew

After a 2.5 month wait this interesting RCAF Irvin has finally arrived. I bought it back in May and I have to say i'm surprised that none of you Canadians bid on it as it would have been good to stay at home and I think it's pretty special. I'll look after it until it does go back anyway.

Bill, wasn't your Dad and AG?

It is rare for any Irvin to have artwork on them which is why I bought this one, and a careful study suggests the painting is original although anything can be faked I guess. I reckon it's the real deal- the style of work is very understated and it doesn't look like new paint. It's a nice touch and it's a shame more weren't decorated like this.

It's labelled but as it's a generic type for all sizes the marking has faded away, but it's pretty big, i'd say it's a size 5 (I wear a 48 A-2), so it has me wondering which of the AG's would have worn it, even though they were worn under service dress- surely not a tail gunner. Made in 1944 it has relatively few panels, but it is made primarily from darker brownish fleeces- not black but certainly dark brown in parts, particularly deep into the pile. The collar and cuffs have been trimmed with the better quality shorter pile pale fleece. Fantastic colours.

The main zip pull looks to me to have come off a sidcot as it has a fabric puller and it's nickle plated, not brass. I can't see where they put it on, but the main zip itself doesn't appear to have been replaced. the sleeves are both original lightnings.

It's the first i've had one with a leather hanging strap as well. I wonder if any of this points to a Canadian made item- it's been speculated in the past that they were perhaps also made there.

In all a fantastic jacket, pretty cheap, it's only flaw is a repair to the top right shoulder blade area where the late War leather has become brittle and someone's fixed it from the inside with chamois patches. Not to my liking especially as it wasn't described, but the rest outweighs this for the time being.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

Roughwear

Well done Andrew. This is a fine Irvin. I remember it on Ebay and was surprised it did not sell for more. I particularly like the lighter, higher grade fleece used for the collar, cuffs and hem. It would seem to be a size 5 as you say. I have an RAAF Irvin from 1941, which is very similar to yours, a size 4 and it has nickle plated sleeve zips similar to your main zip pull. These seem to be quite rare on Irvins and I think you are right in that your slider may well be a replacement.

It's a shame the jacket was not fully described, and that there is damage to the upper back panel. How are you intending to fix it? Sometimes replacing the complete panel with matching sheepskin is the only real option if the whole panel is fragile. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

John Lever

Fabulous jacket. I particularly like the contrasting collar and the crinkled waxed brown paper texture of the coating.

Andrew

Thanks chaps, it is indeed a beauty and Miles it has got the most character of any i've had. I think despite the damage it's now become my favourite. It's amazing how different Irvins can be, I would like to own just one goodie but they all have good points and a only a few drawbacks so now I have four...

The damaged bit is quite limited to that top right small panel so I imagine it could be replaced by someone- not me- but i'd need to find an aged flaky piece with similar qualities to the rest. Andrew, do you have any spare fleece if I decide to make a go of it- i'd need to try to find some darker stuff? Normally I wouldn't touch something but this jacket is so good so I might consider it if i found the right material.

John, the thin look of that panel is because the repairer has shaved the fleece off the leather.

It's got a longish body and arms and the cuffs are tighter than any other i've had. It's definitely a bigger jacket than my labelled size 5 but I guess there was variation.

Some other shots in better light.

DSC_00042-Copy.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_00082.jpg

rich

Another very nice Irvin you have. There's something about the painting that looks completely authentic, there's also the fact that
6 Group was exclusively Canadian and perhaps there was more of a blind eye towards jacket decoration? The belt looks set a bit higher than I've seen before, would this be a characteristic of a particular maker do you think? Great to find such a nice jacket that also fits!

bfrench

Administrator
Leadsky said:
After a 2.5 month wait this interesting RCAF Irvin has finally arrived. I bought it back in May and I have to say i'm surprised that none of you Canadians bid on it as it would have been good to stay at home and I think it's pretty special. I'll look after it until it does go back anyway.

Bill, wasn't your Dad and AG?

Hi, Andrew,

Old man was RAF - 299 Squadron - Short Sterlings

Bill French

Hawkeye

Very nice jacket and beautiful artwork, very attractive. Perhaps something to try out on a repro sometime in the future? 2 1/2 months is quite the time to wait though. did you have it shipped by surface mail?