• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on Moths

8tfish

I see frequently in posts where moths have damaged the wool knits on jackets. I was wondering if moths will attack mouton collars as well?

Also, should I store my jackets over the summer in a bag with some mothballs or will the mothballs cause damage? Another method for proper storage?

Thank you for your advice.

What I do:

1. Place jackets in breathable wardrobe bag/suit bag, or in one of those plastic storage boxes.
2. buy cedar balls, or cedar packlets (you can get them anywhere).

3. Lay jackets flat for storage in bags with cedar inserted inside. Cedar has a nice aroma, apart from mothballs, and just as effective in keeping carpet beetles and moths away, as well as other insects like silverfish.

*You have to be careful with mothballs--can be poisonous, and as you know, gives off a powerful odor.

joeson

Cedar is ok for keeping moths away but if you want to kill any eggs or lava that may already be in the fabric there is a product called Protector-C(used to be called Patriot-C,which I thought was a much better name).It is odourless,and works well.Comes in spray form.

8tfish

Joeson,
Thank you for your suggestion of Protector-C. I went to their website and found the product. It referred US customers to another website which doesn't include the Protector-C product. I will send them an email to inquire whether they will ship to the US or not. Thank you very much for responding to my question.

Tom

decodiva

Re: Question on Moths & Larva

:eek: Can you see the larva? or is this some hidden parasite waiting to launch? SHould one automatically assume there are larvae hidden amoungst the folds of any vintage leather item?
Doesn't steam kill off most larvae?Or does it hatch them right away?

Cobblers161

If the wool is clean and stored in a sealed plastic bag you'll be fine. Moths are rarely attracted to clean materials but as soon as there's any surface dirt(worst of all is food residue for obvious reasons) the critters will zero in on it.

So if you're packing away for winter and can risk a dry clean do that then seal it.

TankBuster

Moths are a small concern for most. The biggest enemy
of vintage clothing in my opinion is the Silverfish.
Nasty little bugs that eat small circular holes in cloth.
I've been spraying for them myself ever since I found
one in my home about 4 years ago. I spray my home
3 times a year instead of the suggested 1. I guess it
doesn't hurt to be paranoid, and the spray only costs
me about $5 a bottle. I usually use 2 per application.

John Lever

All these nasties originally lived in bird or animal nests feeding off old fur and feathers, that's why a dark wardrobe/closet filled with fur and wool is so attractive to them. The moth does it's damage when it is a caterpillar, the beetle when a larvae.
I have a small pesticide applicator that hangs of the hanging rail, this constantly dispenses a repellent chemical which to me is odourless. I also use cedar but the smell soon seems to dissipate. I did try the zip up bags from Ikea, but they soon split under the weight of a heavy jacket.
Any small moth that enters the bedroom is killed just as a precaution.