• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for you goatskin owners

Hi all,

I have an original goatskin A-2 that I wear occasionally. There are a few isolated spots such as in some of the deeper creases of the collar fold where just a few of the goatskin “scales” are missing. There are no holes in the leather, which otherwise is in great shape, but I was wondering if anyone on the forum could comment on how vulnerable these spots might be to wearing through. I believe I recall a post from one of the previous forums about an original M422a that had lost some scales but didn’t seem to compromise the leather, and the owner used it as a daily wearer. I guess I’m trying to determine just how much wear if any this original should get anymore—is the goatskin leather still tough as nails if it’s missing a few of its topcoat scales, or is it on the verge of relic?

Thanks,

Stubbyeighth

greyhound52

Having four vintage goatskin jackets (three A2s and an ANJ-3A) I agree with Miles and be careful it does weaken the leather.

zoomer

Now you have me scared...what if my goatskins age and don't outlive me? I can have no less than eternal perfection! :eek:

greyhound52

zoomer said:
Now you have me scared...what if my goatskins age and don't outlive me? I can have no less than eternal perfection! :eek:

Zoomer,
All my vintage goats are 60 plus years heck the RW 10891 is 67 yrs old and still going strong. They will outlive you. ;)

shanghai joe

I think it's the way the goatee is textured. On HH the abrasion won't be so telling. I'm talking about derma abrasions, NOT dry rot.

With dry rot it doesn't matter whether it's goat, horse or ray (sting ray).......they all share the same fate........

Of course that's my tuppence.......I only have one goatee (not on my chin) and it's a 'wark.

Thanks for the replys. No matter how I've tried to rationaize it, I guess the bottom line is that the leather has to be weakened to some extent when it looses its outer 1/3rd. Jacket will still get some wear, though, just not as much, which obviously means I'll have to save up and order that Goodwear 27753 no-name a bit sooner than I had wanted to. Damn, man. Sometimes life is just the shits. :D

The scale flaking isn't a big deal on the front panels or lower/mid back panels but when it appears on collar folds, sleeve creases,or upper shoulders it's time to retire the jacket to very occasional use.