• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Ralph Edwards Sportswear Inc

league6

Hi,

I've had a G-1 jacket for about 10 years now. I bought it from a buddy and over the years its seen quite a lot of wear. The label is very worn and is difficult to read or to photograph, but it is a Ralph Edwards MIL-J-7823E (AS). The bottom line of the label reads DLA100-8?4C-0565(or 0665). I'm not sure of the digit after the 100 but it looks like an 8. Was Ralph Edwards Sportswear Inc still in production in 1984?

I attach a pic of the jacket. It is still in active duty use!

Pete.

Picture039-1.jpg

Roughwear

The G-1 MIL-J-7823E series of jackets date from 1969 to present. So 1984 would be the correct date for this Ralph Edwards jacket.

Atticus

Actually, there was a short time from 1978 until 1983 that the G-1 was out of production. But, yes, 1984 is likely the date your jacket was made. If the number on the tag were a "6" rather than an "8", the tag would be black and the collar would be mouton. It couldn't be a "9" because, if I am not mistaken, RE didn't make G-1s in the ninties. They did make white-tag, dynal collar G-1s in the seventies---in fact, they made them in 1974---but I take it the number in question does not appear to be a seven.

BTW, are you a JAG Officer?

AF

league6

Thanks, Roughwear and Atticus for your superfast response. I've looked at the white tag again with a magnifying lens and I can see the base of what looks like a figure 8 or 6. As you say, it cannot be a 6. So it looks like it probably was made in '84. Yes, I am a JAG, an SJA based in Europe.

Pete

Len

Hi, Could you please tell me the orientation of the USN stamp on the wind flap. I want to check for consistency with a Ralph Edwards that I'm looking at. It's also dated 1984.
Cheers

Jason

For comparison, here's my 7823E Ralph Edwards. I can't say exactly the year in which it was made (no spec label) but I can confirm its a RE from the WPL number on the tag I found.

IMG_0129.jpg

As you can see, the RE uses vertical block text for the USN windflap perforations. I think Cooper do this too, but use much larger perforations, and less holes per letter.
RalphEdwards7823E_42003.jpg

Here's the WPL tag I found:
RalphEdwards7823E_42004.jpg

Its definitely a Dynel collar, and the leather has a pretty 'brittle' hand to it, and has a very water repellant lacquer coating. I'm pretty sure this one is goatskin, if not, the embossed cow hide is much more convincing than my for-sure-100%-cowhide Imperial Sportswear G-1.
Hope the comparison helps some for you.