• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about painting flight jackets

Mr.Microphone

Good afternoon,

I have been looking around and have not been able to find information on painting flight jackets. I have a repro B-3 from What Price Glory that I would like to get painted with nose art. Can anyone offer tips on paint types to use or things to watch out for when painting? This is going to be a first for me, so I wanted to make sure I am doing it right.

Thank you,
Ryan

DiamondDave

Ryan,
I have created several "Back Pieces" and a lot of patches on leather, and these are just my thoughts.
I have found great luck with the acrylic paints that are made for leather. If you have a Tandy leather or some other retailer of those goods, I would recommend checking them out. These as I said are formulated for leather and work great. Conversely, if you want a really interesting, cracked look. You can simply get regular acrylic paints at the hobby store, but I would definitely use Resolene, after the fact to seal it. The latter product is an acrylic sealer that will help to keep the work on the jacket.

Good luck and post your results if you get a chance?

David