• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Gibson-Barnes A-2 historic fit

316thTCG

Hi all,

new member here, long time admirer of A-2s, and just made my first A-2 purchase. I have found lots of great info on the forum just in my first day and hope to contribute in the future.

I just bought my first A-2, a Gibson-Barnes historic "A-2 Mark 43." It is used but looks to be in "new" condition and I paid a little less than half the price I would for a new made A-2 mark 43 (so I figured worth a try and I can always resell it if it doesn't work out).

It is a size 42T and I have a question about fit with their jackets - I have seen a few veiled references suggestion that their cut is a little more generous than most (all?) originals. I usually wear a 42 and while I'm not Great Depression thin - I am "in shape."

As I excitedly waiting to try it on (arrives in a week or so), just thought I'd inquire about their fit.

Thanks, Jeff

HHjackets

316thTCG said:
... a few veiled references suggestion that their cut is a little more generous than most (all?) originals...

i had one and actually they fit more generous than the repro makers (rather than originals)!

316thTCG

Hi all,

well my jacket arrived and I de-patched it (embroidered 334th FS) and then took some measurements (and by the way am liking the jacket very much).

This is my first time getting my hands on an A-2 so I can only go by other folks measurements - and this where my question comes in:

I measured the sizing of jacket and compared it to the sizing page on Acme Depot (which shows where to measure and a slew of repros measured accordingly) - my 42T Gibson and Barnes historic HH A-2 fits in neatly within the other jackets measurements.

If G&B is supposed to be way off (i.e. big to fit the 21st century American), how is it that this jacket isn't sized big? Maybe G&Bs aren't so off? I'm just curious as to the size debates of the various repros who are supposed to be making them to fit the 2000s v. 1940s bodies, particularly for the G&B jackets. I'm no fan of any of the various makers, just trying to learn as I go.

Thanks, Jeff

RCSignals

I think with G&B it depends on which model jacket it is, and also when it was produced. you can read my posts here about their M-422 sizing, and the similar experience of others.

What is the chest circumference of your A-2?

Pope

I have had 2 G & B A-2's still have one. I found they run a little on the large side. I normally wear a 42 in the other jacket mfg.'s but a 40 in the g&b. They may not be detailed to an original mfg but their jackets are excellent quality I think. Bill French has several and loves them. Don't think you will be dissatisfied at all.

My Dad was in the 61st TCG -59th TCS. Some really cool history out there on TC Units.

atkins

Hiya Jeff, i used to own and daily wear a horsehide sz42 reg Mark 41, one thing for sure, the jacket made me look a bit huskier on the torso, so i liked the fit very much. The negative side it ( the horsehide) was chrome tanned and won't have a patina in the future. I think our Bill French have a review here.