• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Putting an A-2 on a Hanger

crazyace

How do you keep your A-2`s? On a hanger? I have had mine on a wide wooden hanger that I even padded the shoulders on to try and keep the shoulder ends square so they don`t round off . I have it zipped up but I am not sure if it is a good idea because it is just hanging and wondering if it will get out of shape or make the shoulder situation worse.The shouldes are a tad wide on me but I don`t want that rounded shoulder look. Any tips will be appreciated.

ButteMT61

Opinions vary from don't ever hang 'em to just use a cheap metal hanger.
Some only put them flat in boxes or trunks. I love the big, oversized cedar or finished wood hangers from the Container Store. About $10 each.
I zip mine and hang them where there's some light to help avoid moths. They're all close to each other in the closet so not much stress on them.
Had I some originals, I'd lay them flat in a container.
If you store them for a long period, might want to use some cedar or other moth repellant. Depends on your area.
If you visit the Hat Place there was a long thread there on this.

dmar836

Originals? Wide padded hangar, mannequin bust, or flat.
Repro? Whatever it will hang on except by the "hangar loop".
JMO,
Dave

ButteMT61

One other tidbit. For someone like me and others with really big jackets, they weigh a lot more. Typical hangers are too narrow. I probably fear the stretching more due to those factors. I've seen it on lesser jackets previously, so I'm very wary of the good ones and keeping them as nice as possible.
YMMV

crazyace

Thanks for the input ! I have a wide wooden hanger that I padded with a pool noodle cut to fit just on either end of the hanger.I just was worried about keeping the shoulders kind of square.

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Guys,

I use the wide cedar hangars and then use a heavy terrycloth bath towel folder over and then spread out the wodth of the hangar - it gives a large padded area to hang the jacket.