• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price increase at Eastman Leather

Carl

Nothing like pricing yourself out of the game is there !! It will happen, it's not making good buisness sense at all .
Sorry but you can only push so far !;)

B-Man2

If anyone knows, what are BK prices like compared to Eastman’s ? I know I could research it, but I was just wondering as a couple of you have purchased BKs recently. Are they comparable let’s say, matching an Eastman Rough Wear 27752 against a BK Rough Wear 27752 price wise?

Greg Gale

At this rate, may as well go back to flying actual airplanes...

At this rate? Not even Cessna 172s, but Spitfires! :eek: ;) Their A-2 already costs 17 hours of flying time in a motor glider, and 3 years of unlimited flying in gliders for me.

I mean it's their choice. If I had a jacket manufacture that was flooded with orders and couldn't expand, it would seem logical to increase the prices. On the other hand, it's my choice to freak out about it, as this means I'll never ever own another ELC product, because I just can't afford one. ;) I might even skip the ELC tent at Duxford...out of 2 unaffordable things I'd rather look at the planes rather than the jackets :D

Persimmon

At this rate? Not even Cessna 172s, but Spitfires! :eek: ;) Their A-2 already costs 17 hours of flying time in a motor glider, and 3 years of unlimited flying in gliders for me.

I mean it's their choice. If I had a jacket manufacture that was flooded with orders and couldn't expand, it would seem logical to increase the prices. On the other hand, it's my choice to freak out about it, as this means I'll never ever own another ELC product, because I just can't afford one. ;) I might even skip the ELC tent at Duxford...out of 2 unaffordable things I'd rather look at the planes rather than the jackets :D

Eastman have announced due to excessive demand for their products from the Far East they are happy to schedule an ongoing monthly increase in prices from today.

In addition to releave the stress of the poor peasants ( former customers ) who can no longer to purchase Eastman jackets they are offering guided tours of the ELC tent at Flying Legends.

For a small nominal vast “expensive cost” you can enjoy their team showing you round proudly stating “ here’s what you can’t have “

Persimmon

Whether it’s due to the excessive summer heat or an unhappy punter but the Eastman Spring Accountant’s meeting minutes have now been released.

Attendees - Gary Eastman
Assorted ELC henchmen
Chief independent Bean Counter
Various lowly Bean Counters.
5 x Rolls Royce chauffeurs

First order of the day Gary is raise your prices.

But why?
To raise lots of profits for us all. Our Bean Counter Rolls Royce’s are not cheap.

But what about my customers ?
To hell with them. Who is in charge here.

Well how much shall I raise them ?
Until the fact lady sings and then some. Make those wretched customers scream and scream.

Anything else ?
Yes your customer profile base is all wrong.

What do you mean ?
Now look - you are selling lots of jackets in lots of sizes. Bad for business. You need to focus on the smaller sizes.
The Far East customers.
Think of the leather amounts you will save and they are as rich as hell anyway.

But what about my larger size customers ?
Stuff them. If they order - then raise the price. If they still want to order - raise the price again.
Remember from now on re customers - less (sized) is more !!

But what about the laird of the Highlands -he won’t stand for this ?
Gary Gary Gary. Let him have the north.

But they also have a Uber fan base in The USA - what about that ?
Exactly our point. Have you seen how much those big American customers eat. Think of the leather to cover them. Let the Laird use up all his stocks.
Then you can raise your prices even more.

Well that all makes sense. Anything else ?
Yes. About this trade stand at Flying Legends you have every year.

What about it ?
Have you thought about removing that riff raff who gather outside wearing jackets and drinks.
My subordinate’s subordinate here tells me they are part of VLJ. Move those bums on.

Is that everything as I have another book to write ?
Yes Gary. Get your own private Jet. Hell. Buy two.

D97x7

I notice the ELMC biker vests went up 30%+ last time, now they want to add more, wow.
Glad I got one in January.

Ken at Aero Leather

I have a feeling that Gary's learning this year what Aero found out in 1991.............it's a lot more expensive setting up a new factory than one could possibly imagine!

How big is The ELC Tent that it can accomodate tours? I'm impressed!!!

Brettafett

When I spoke to 'someone' at the last ELC pop up in London, around this topic... he told me' "its crazy..."... there is still a crazy demand regardless of the prices.
He also hinted at the Asian market clamouring for jackets. It was a battle just keeping up with demand... And that was not long ago.
I wonder who will get the new Catch 22 series production jackets, and what impact if any, that will have on flight jacket interest again...

CBI

I am out of the A-2 market at this point save for a great deal. Although its disappointing to hear this, I guess the flip side is that ELC is busy and that these jackets are gaining in popularity???? Considering all of the mass produced, cheap, crap attire that is bought/sold in the world today, people still recognize quality and "style". Too bad the cost for quality is OTT.

In re flying its almost getting to the point of............you can either pay top dollar to LOOK like a pilot or pay to actually BE one.

I am still trying to get through ground school but with work and family........yikes!

Lorenzo_l

When I spoke to 'someone' at the last ELC pop up in London, around this topic... he told me' "its crazy..."... there is still a crazy demand regardless of the prices.
He also hinted at the Asian market clamouring for jackets. It was a battle just keeping up with demand... And that was not long ago.

That is exactly the same story I heard when I visited ELC a couple of weeks back. The flight jacket market is still a small, niche-type industry. Does increase demand from the far east justify increasing prices so much in so short a period? Given that they are having trouble keeping up with demand, should increase production not drive prices down, actually (economy of scale)? I am happy that flight jackets seem to be becoming more popular and that ELC is profiting from that but, in the process, their jacket are becoming out of reach of most customers in the west!
Seems like ELC is gambling on the far east market at the expense of the western one. And they must know that.
I am happy I purchased my ELC 1729 Werber before the prices went up in May, but I am out of the of the A-2 market too (famous last words...)

Lorenzo_l

In re flying its almost getting to the point of............you can either pay top dollar to LOOK like a pilot or pay to actually BE one.

I am still trying to get through ground school but with work and family........yikes!

Ditto, CBI! All the best getting your pilot's license, man!

Southoftheborder

I have a feeling that Gary's learning this year what Aero found out in 1991.............it's a lot more expensive setting up a new factory than one could possibly imagine!

How big is The ELC Tent that it can accomodate tours? I'm impressed!!!

Your point is well made, but isn't the main object of a new factory to improve productivity and so reduce production costs?