• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Police leather jackets

A

Anonymous

There are some ki****ss police jackets, really great looking.

Do you like them too?
Do you own any?
Have any photos of them you like to share?
Know where they sell them?

dmar836

Platon,

Prior to the 30s half-belts and long flying coats were common for MC use. The 50s seem to be the heyday.
There are many makers that try to replicate the old Bucos and Becks. Some have pistol pockets more akin to the highway patrol/police jackets.
To many modern posers, the Harley jacket is king - try to tell them otherwise. Harley got into the jacket game late and there are so many other jackets with heritage out there it is barely worth mentioning the name. Actually, it is worth mentioning that much Harley stuff is now made in Taiwan and China. Not sure on the jackets.

Some of the jackets are really heavy and thick for true protection and some budget models are just cheap Chinese models - I tend to believe these are out there more than we'd like to admit. The market is flooded with cheap no-name run of the mill jackets for $150.

Schott made a jacket specific to motorcycles I think in 1928. This was the Perfecto and developed into what we all see as the asymmetric motorcycle jacket.
There was the Schott Perfecto 618 and 613. 613 had a star on each epaulet like Marlin Brando wore in "The Wild Ones". That was actually a 618 converted. The stars were the only difference. These became a Punk Rock staple in the 70s along with Lewis Leathers excellent jackets. Schott still makes great jackets today and have a cult following.

I have a 70's Schott cafe, a 70's Schott 618 Perfecto, and a salty Brooks from the 60's/70's.

I'll post pics later.

Dave

A

Anonymous

17 years ago I was in Baltimore on St Patrick's day.
There was a parade and some police man wearing an amazing jacket (couldn't go ask him where he got it from)
but would you know who supplies the police? Are those issued to police bikers? or they buy themselves from uniform stores?

Any idea?

Don't we have any representatives of the law enforcement community in here?

tom james

Most jackets offered to the various police departments in the U.S. are made by Vanson Leather or Taylor's Leatherwear. They are offered through Squadfitters.

watchmanjimg

I like them a lot. Here are a few shots of my custom Lost Worlds police jacket in HEAVY horsehide (emphasis added as jacket weighs over 7 pounds).

Police001.jpg
Police002.jpg
Police003.jpg

Here's an original Buco PJ27 I used to have. It previously belonged to JC Slongo (Contrailschaser).

PJ27001.jpg
PJ27002.jpg
PJ27003.jpg
PJ27004.jpg

Finally, here's Lost Worlds' rendition of the PJ27 in mid-weight horsehide. This one was a bit snug and I wound up selling it, but what a beautiful garment it was!

PJ-27001.jpg
PJ-27002.jpg
PJ-27003.jpg

I also have what was stated as an ex-Detroit PD jacket made by Metropolitan Uniform, which follows the typical Buco pattern. It's somewhat similar to this Ralph Edwards example from Roger Moore's site, but with conventional zippered sleeve ends:

http://moorecustom.com/jackets/60s_Edwards_cycle_46.htm

I've owned an ex-Nassau County PD jacket patterned after the NYPD design and made by Skaggerac Sportswear as well as Lost Worlds' rendition (http://lostworldsinc.com/Highway_Patrol ... Jacket.htm), both in mid-weight horsehide. The LW was of noticeably superior quality, but was perhaps too faithful to the original design in that it retained its hideous oversized collar.

Falcon_52

That's an awesome jacket, Bill. I'll bet it has seen a few miles! Pretty soon it will be Triumph weather again here in the midwest; time for me to break out the Lost Worlds CHP jacket and put some serious mileage on it.

Maybe someday it will look like your Langlitz.

Noel

watchmanjimg

sealbeachbum said:
I love my old Langlitz Horsehide CHP jacket! It's my favorite wearer when riding my Harley.

Bill, I'm sure I complimented this jacket last time you posted it but I'm happy to do so again. I've been wanting to order a Columbia for some time now, but never got around to it. Maybe sometime this year . . .

rpmooreii

Here is a link to my favorite; a Ralph Edwards (yes Edwards of G-1 fame) police moto jacket in sz 46!

http://moorecustom.com/jackets/60s_Edwards_cycle_46.htm

Don't really ever wear it as I do not have a bike but it is just so cool (imho)...

...Roger

p.s. oops I did not see that someone above had already posted a link to my jacket (on my web site). I'm glad some of you guys are still checking out my humble site :eek:)