Please help ID this A-2

Discussion in 'General Flight Jacket Discussion' started by seres, Nov 30, 2016.

1. seres

seres New Member

Is it possible to identify the manufacturer and contract of this A-2 jacket, with this limited info?

The pictures were taken beside a PT-19A at Coleman Field in Brady, Texas, during primary training in March, 1944.

My guess is a Rough Wear W535-AC-27752. The shape and lay of the collar makes me think collar stand construction, and the pocket shape looks like a RW. The patch pockets seem large, but the jacket was probably at size 36. The sleeves appear pretty tight, similar to other RW models. The Rough Wear -27752 contract was awarded in late April 1942 for 50,000 jackets. That would allow almost 2 years to produce the jacket and fill the distribution pipeline.

But if it is not a collar stand construction, could it be a Poughkeepsie W535-AC-28560?

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. The angular pocket bottoms and shame of the pocket flaps would indicate an Aero rather than either a RW or a Poughkeepsie A2. I can't see evidence of a collar stand from the poor quality photo. I suspect it is from Aero's 18775-P contract for 50,000 jackets awarded on 25th may 1942. Here is a link to an original in my collection. http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/original-aero-42-18775-p.19091/

PeterO likes this.
  3. seres

seres New Member

Andrew: Thanks for your very helpful reply and link!