• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pike Bros N1h hook deck jacket

airfrogusmc

I haven't lifted in 15 years so those #s are not current. When I bought suits I had t buy separates and still required a bit of tailoring. I could still bench 315 when I was 42 and I weighed 225.

250/260 now and my jeans are 38 but I am closer to 42 in all actuality so nothing that Buzz makes come close to fitting. 52 chest.

ausreenactor

I have a 48" chest and a 40" waist - numbers, not tags.
My waist is not larger, and in fact, the drop makes it harder for me to get a good fit. Not sure where your data on "many" of the larger guys here comes from...

I am going off eBay where I moved the majority of my BR jackets. The questions and feedback from potential buyers put a lot of people off. In the case of a Deck Zip I am certain an XXXL BR would have fit you. What was your chest and shoulder measurement back in the day? Anywhere between 44" and 46" in a Deck Zip would have been fine. A 40" waist would cut many BR jackets out for you in their catalogue sizes.

ausreenactor

As an aside I sold a Buzz Rickson B-10 to Pike Brothers via eBay years ago. I would imagine they patterned off it, matched materials etc.

Garylafortuna

This is funny. There must have been a rash of orders on that Hook Deck Jacket, because Pike Bros. has already raised their price from EUR 125.00 to EUR 149.00. Sheesh.

airfrogusmc

Gary,

It was 149 if you didn't sign up on their web site. Once you signed up and logged in then it showed up at 125 euro. Just checked it and when I log in it shows up at 125.21

asiamiles

Hmm I read that the 1942 had a zipper like the Mr Freedom version.

I think the buzz is after a later version.

I like it better with a zipper.

All that really matters is that you're happy with what you have. As to being accurate repros, prior to the very different N-1 the USN had two different Deck Jackets, the zip one and the hook one, both of which BR have reproduced.* Unlike with the Pike Bros one, the hooks on the Buzz do a perfectly good job keeping the jacket closed.

Size wise I think Buzz go up to a 44 (which equates to XL), but different runs can come up very differently, so one always needs to check the actual measurement before buying eg. some size 36 Deck Jackets fit like a 40, while others fit to size.

* Both Buzz and The Real McCoy's also do a 'special winter clothing' alpaca-wool lined variant of the zip Deck Jacket (in both blue and khaki), so I'm assuming the USN also commissioned these at some point, though I've not seen them documented and I suppose they may have been private purchase jackets.

Last edited:

airfrogusmc

Buzz can make the worlds greatest whatever if it's a 44 it is no good to me. Even a 46 would be a problem.

The Pike jacket is terrific and a great price and big enough for those that those small buzz jackets are an issue.​

Garylafortuna

Yes I did Allen, plus seventeen euros shipping. Also I contacted the Americo company and they said that they are reordering the spring hooks and should know by late this week if they are still available. As for the zipper, I'll wait until the jacket arrives to be sure of the proper length. By the way, Mash certainly is not giving those Talon zippers away. The Talon is period correct I know, but a nice nickel YKK with cotton tape would run about one quarter the cost of the Talon. If you have any photos of the zipper installation Allen, would you send them along to me. Thanks. My email is
[email protected]

ausreenactor

Some might say the prices are normal. Buzz makes jackets that easily cover the global averages for height and weight. I guess some of us are fortunate to still fit into their dress uniforms from 25 years ago, and able to save a lot of cash on the premium jackets.

airfrogusmc

Yeah I lifted weights really hard for a lot of years after I got out but as I said before buzz jackets would not fit me when I was in.

Gary, I'll get some in the next days or two.

Paul Sanders had a several of size 48 and 50 A-2s and a 48 G&F M-422a that all were about twice the price of smaller sizes.

airfrogusmc

Heres how my zipper is installed.

The bottom of the zipper is 2 1/2 inches up from the bottom of the jacket front. I did that so when I am driving I can open the bottom hook and the jacket has less of the creep up factor.

L1043141_zpsnaiqvcdr.jpg

airfrogusmc

Thanks a lot.
I see on the MASH website that Yoshi has added a Navy 1942 Talon. If he would have had that when I ordered this one I would have went that way but the green isn't that bad and for the most part it really doesn't show.
This is one killer jacket. Warm but breaths really well. The wool is heavy and the construction top notch like most Pike Bros stuff.

Garylafortuna

The Pike Bros N1h Deck Jacket arrived today, and it is exactly as Allen described. Made tough as nails, and the fit is comfortable and roomy through the shoulders. The clasps however, really are crap. I hope the Americo company can come through with a set of the improved ones. On the navy blue Talon zipper from MASH, Allen, is it possible to shorten it to the proper length without any
special zipper modification tools? Really a good idea to bring the bottom of the zipper up to above the waist band. For my size only 20" of zipper are required. There is a note on the MASH website saying that it has been dyed by them and if teeth are removed the original brown will show through and may need to be touched up with a Sharpie. By the way, thanks for turning me on to this terrific jacket............. Gary