• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pike Bros N1h hook deck jacket

airfrogusmc

So I bought this 1942 hook deck jacket from Pike Bros and got it for $160 because the hooks they had on it were really bad. It has a wool blanket lining and is so well made (except the hooks).

I found some hooks on line but unfortunately the company didn't have any more gun metal so I had to buy antique brass. I think I got all they had because they no longer list them on their site but I think they were from a manufacturer in Italy.

Heres the new hooks that are just terrific and work really well.
L1012087_zpsqamy7pbu.jpg

L1012088_1_zpsuisrypbg.jpg

L1012083_zpsd3ant7zr.jpg

I had a local tailor install them and I also bought a 1942 NOS Talon from MASH. That is another thing that Pike Bros should have had on the jacket.
L1012080_zpssvloj159.jpg

L1012080_zpssvloj159.jpg

Jacket now and it is terrific.
L1012080_zpssvloj159.jpg

airfrogusmc

Jacket
L1030532_zpsb9tmjgic.jpg

In the Odds and Ends section
http://pikebrothers-shop.com/ItemVi...4-0002&selectedColor=309&selectedSize_pos=006

Here is what they said the solution was but it does work and without a zipper there is no way to keep it closed. These hooks that are on the jacket and the spring is not near strong enough and they are VERY flimsy. I think if you were just to add a zipper and use the hooks as ornament it could be OK but I would try and find some substantial hook like I did.
2nd_photo_zpsantupauq.jpg

1st_photo_zpswrerozr6.jpg

The wool lining is very warm and after my modifications it is a terrific jacket.

asiamiles

Wouldn't it have been easier (obviously you weren't to know all this in advance) and ultimately maybe no more expensive to have bought a used Buzz?

airfrogusmc

Did you get the hook deck jacket?

Also the Buzz doesn't have a zipper which I believe the originals did. I haven't been a 44 since jr high so Buzz size is a real issue for me.

The only Buzz hook deck jacket I could find was 564 US and size 44 was the largest.

Last edited:

jack31916

Hi,

Original hook deck jackets did not have a zipper so the Buzz Rickson is a correct repro.

The jackets run big. I have a size 44 Zipper Deck Jacket and it easily fits a guy up to 6' 6" (1.95 meter). I don't know if they do a size 46

Just FYI and regards

airfrogusmc

Hmm I read that the 1942 had a zipper like the Mr Freedom version.

I think the buzz is after a later version.

I like it better with a zipper.

48 usually wont. I am a 50/52.

If you sign up on the Pike Bros site you can get it for 125 euros in the odds and ends section which is about $142 US. The wool lining is heavy and very warm.

Here is the Mr Freedom which is sold out. It had a hookless zipper. I think this jacket was made by Sugar Cane.
http://www.misterfreedom.com/deck-jacket-n-1htroy.html

Last edited:

Garylafortuna

Airfrogusmc, would you post a link for the source of the hooks you found. I realize you mentioned that they no longer list them, but they may be able to point me in the right direction. Great work you've done on this jacket. Thanks.

airfrogusmc

Last edited:

Garylafortuna

Thank you Allen. The Pike Bros Deck Jacket really appeals to me, and I want to order one very soon. When they list an item in their 'Odds & Ends' section I suspect it means that
the supply is limited, but before I order I'd like to get the hooks and the zipper squared away. One more request if you would Allen: there are about a half dozen or so Talon zippers on the Mash website. Would you list the item number of the one you are using please? Again thanks............... Gary

airfrogusmc

I bought the M43 (95-01-4210) but it looks like they now have an M 42 Navy (95-01-4402) that looks like it would work fine plus the color is better.

The Pike is a good buy at 125 Euro. It was just a touch less than 160 delivered.

Last edited:

ButteMT61

I paid US$240 for my RM Deck Zip 44. My BR Deck Hook 42 cost me around $200. I am fully grown.
What is being referred to here the often mocked sizing by us larger guys of the Japanese brands (mainly). You see the XXXXL shirts and think - AWESOME - one will fit me. Until you discover that the XXXXL is a US size 42. The second part I won't address...

ausreenactor

Buzz Rickson Nylons and Cloth jackets are generally over the tagged size. Where they fall short is in the waist. Many 'larger guys' are larger in the waist, or match their waist to their chest. In those instances the 42s and 44s are not going to suffice. With most BR products stopping at 44 it cuts the options for European buyers I suppose. If you are a 40-42 your choice of reasonably priced high quality repros is endless. I am yet to see any BR products tagged beyond XXXL? And the 46 stuff is only generally in HPA or ELC on some items.

Last edited:

Garylafortuna

Today I ordered the Pike Bros version. Looks like they do size them a little on the big side. These are their measurements:

* Pit to pit.............. Size medium 62cm (24 7/16")............. Size large 66cm (26").................... Size XL 70cm (27 1/2")
* Back.................... Size medium 68cm (26 3/4").............. Size large 70cm (27 1/2").............. Size XL 72cm (28 3/8")
* Sleeve................. Size medium 67cm (26 3/8")............... Size large 68cm (26 3/4")............. Size XL 69cm (27 3/16")
* Shoulders........... Size medium 48cm (18 7/8")............... Size large 52cm (20 1/2").............. Size XL 56cm (22 1/16")

airfrogusmc

Hi Gary,

Congrats and I think you are really going to like the jacket. If you are going to install a zipper PM me and i will show you how I put mine in. I think it is like the way Sugar Cane put the ones in on the Mr Freedom jacket.

I went with a 2X and it fits great.

Last edited:

airfrogusmc

There is no way even when I was in the Marines a Buzz jacket would fit me. My body fat at that time was less than 10%. I was 6'2" and was 220. Could run 3 miles in 19 minutes, 20 pull-ups and 80 sit-ups in 2 minutes. I lifted weights for years and at one point had a 50+ inch chest and a 34 in waist.

Last edited:

ButteMT61

I have a 48" chest and a 40" waist - numbers, not tags.
My waist is not larger, and in fact, the drop makes it harder for me to get a good fit. Not sure where your data on "many" of the larger guys here comes from...