• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pike Bros. Flight Helmet Bag...maybe I screwed this one up..

ties70

Hi,

here is kind of a fantasy project. I am not yet sure if I screwed this one up or got it just right. Maybe I`ll let you decide.

It started with the bag from Pike Brothers, which was on sale for 49 €. The story behind it is probably bogus, as most of their "1936 Jeans" here and "1945 Hunter Jacket" there references seem to be made up by them. Anyway, I like it and wanted to personalize it as my daily carry-on bag for the upcoming holiday trip....

I decided to give it a touch of WWII (yes, helmet bags did not exist back then, but WTF), and researched nose art and serial # of "Old Battle Axe", a B-17 from the 91st BG, 323rd BS. The bag was stencilled and painted with my usual technique, ironed to fix the paint and washed at 30° C.

What I didn't expect was that Pike not only used old canvas, but unwashed fabric as well...it says so on their website, but this I must have somehow overread.

Coming out of the washing machine, the bag oozed dark brown, slimy water, almost like a mixture of Coca-Cola and oil.

The artwork was almost gone at all the areas where I used stencil techniques. Drying in the sun, the rich olive color vanished to a light olive.

Anyway, here are the pics:

Original condition:
Pike_new_zpsodzswu7t.jpg

Bag_front_Full_zpscg2w1adi.jpg

Bag_back_Full_zpshwndznfn.jpg

Full_front_flat_zpstxbygutr.jpg

Front_details_2_zpsx9oqz1nd.jpg

battle_Axe_pocket_zpspfhogwdt.jpg

Front_details_1_zpsticmnu0v.jpg

Back_details_1_zpslaxwpztv.jpg

Bag_back_flat_zpsnub9jbcz.jpg

Best regards,

Ties

Clark J

Re: Pike Bros. Flight Helmet Bag...maybe I screwed this one

Cool man !! Looks great !

a2jacketpatches

I'm on the fence a little to be honest with this one. No doubt a great job to begin with I'm sure of that, but the B-17 being mostly gone leads me to think you might touch it up a bit. Everything else looks nicely aged / faded, but the plane would bug me as an artist.

FlyingYankee

I like it. BTW I am looking for something US Navy style to carry my work supplies on the morning Navy Mike boat ride that matches my Navy deck jacket and can zip up because we get lots of salt water spray.

ties70

a2jacketpatches said:
I'm on the fence a little to be honest with this one. No doubt a great job to begin with I'm sure of that, but the B-17 being mostly gone leads me to think you might touch it up a bit. Everything else looks nicely aged / faded, but the plane would bug me as an artist.

After a couple of hours looking at it, and the feedback from you guys, I start to like the way it came out.

EXCEPT for the B-17. It really took a while to cut the stencil for the plane, with all the details. And it was the part of the overall design that I liked most. Simple and easy to stencil, but definitely the "extra touch", with the tail markings.

I am thinking about "touching it up", as you suggested.
Best way would be to re-stencil it with minimal paint....the problem is, though: Due to the washing the fabric has shrunk a little and has swollen up a lot. The stencil does not fit anymore!

Ties

a2jacketpatches

Looks like there's enough there and you've got a steady enough hand to just eyeball it with a half dried black sharpie. Maybe just dry brush it a bit catching the top texture of the fabric. Just enough to define what used to be there. Less is more here. Thanks for taking it constructively because that's exactly how I meant it. Maybe just a few panel lines to bring out the overall shape again.

Really like what you're doing, it's a unique idea that is appealing to guys here. I've got a few oddball military style bags that I'm trying to distress a bit by pre-washing before I put anything on. A Banana Republic Map Case looking thing and an original WW2 British Musette Bag. Once they look nicely faded I'll be stitching on some of my Flying Tigers Novelty stuff. Not trying to ride your coat tails on this but a customer did it a few years back and sent some photos. Will post some day soon when completed.

dmar836

I like it as is. Sometimes original artwork faded or was damaged even on the parts that were most intricate or looked the best.
JMO
Dave

dujardin

i like

the faded look of the paint is great

very nice

ties70

Guys,

I am weak and so I caved in to my own personal vanity: I have restored the B-17 and parts of the bombardier wings.

Before:
Front_details_2_zpsx9oqz1nd.jpg

After:
B-17_restored_zpsbwioc2n2.jpg

Best regards,

Ties

Vcruiser

Looks even better now, Ties.
Van

a2jacketpatches

Much better, just too much was actually missing after the wash. Nicely done.

TankBuster

Very nicely done. Has that been there look we all love!

unclegrumpy

TankBuster said:
I agree with all that has been said...it is very nice.

However, I can't help but think how cool this would be if the artwork was from the Vietnam era. A F-105 or F-4, and "party suit" like artwork would be both neat, and more closely fit the era this bag is styled after.

In the end, it really does not matter, because nobody but geeks like us would know the difference.

ButteMT61

I have no idea how "legit" it is but it sure is cool! I'd carry one of those for sure if I could get one for a decent price!
Nicely done.

ties70

unclegrumpy said:
TankBuster said:
I agree with all that has been said...it is very nice.

However, I can't help but think how cool this would be if the artwork was from the Vietnam era. A F-105 or F-4, and "party suit" like artwork would be both neat, and more closely fit the era this bag is styled after.

In the end, it really does not matter, because nobody but geeks like us would know the difference.

Grumpy,

I am actually thinking about getting another bag and try something like a "Col. Robin Olds, USAF" version, with something Phantom / MIG kills related...or a "Capt. Ted Williams, USMCR" version with a Panther F9.

Best regards,

Ties

EMBLEMHUNTER

Yeah , the second "go over" of the B-17 and the wings tops it off nicely , as mentioned the other details were o.k. right off , I would have been the same way about the B-17 etc and redone them too , Great work all around !!!!!!!!

Clark J

Looks like crap Ties !!!! You shouldn't ever be seen with it !! I would even send it out of the country !!!!

pm me if you need my address,,,LOL