• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photos of Security Aviation Togs A-2s

Weasel_Loader

Great info guys.

Here are some more pics of what I think are SAT A-2 that I posted in the gallery section. All of these jackets have the rivet hookless zippers.

MurocGunneryCampMiscellaneous000-1.jpg

MurocGunneryCampMiscellaneous0001-8.jpg

Ira Eaker on the right. ;)

PeopleLate30s40s0001-800.jpg

SteveN

Wow. Those A-2 photos sure do show a wide range of 'fit' to each of those individuals. I guess that answers the question of a 'standard' fit -- there wasn't one.

- SteveN

Grant

Hi all,
Just heard from Aota and he confirmed that the zipper on the SAT was indeed a rivited Talon, not a Hookless. He also corrected me that the proper name of the manufacturer is Security Sportswear Co. Thanks for posting the other cool photos. Those riveted jackets were either Aero or Werber A-2s.

Grant

Swing

Grant said:
Hi all,
Just heard from Aota and he confirmed that the zipper on the SAT was indeed a rivited Talon, not a Hookless.

Right, I should have said in reply to zoomer's questions, the rivited Talon/Hookless was the only game in town as far as I know. Whether it carried the Talon or Hookless name, the style of zip that's on ELC's Werber was pretty much the only zip availabe in the early 30s.

~Swing

Grant

Yeah, it does appear that Talon and some Talon/Hookless were the predominant zips of the 30's. Prentice zips were used on some B-1's however.

Grant

Grant

ELC gets the shape of the early riveted Talon puller right, but as far as I know there's no documented evidence that a Hookless zip was ever used in an A-2. If anyone has a photo of one I'd really like to see it. I've only seen Hookless zips used in 1920's flight suits and they are very cool. Fortunately for me there's a major vintage clothing collector here in NYC that's collected very early flight suits from the 1920's and let's me come over and geek out looking at the zips, etc.

Grant

Grant

Tamoko,
Beautiful Kwik puller! Cool to see that the 1937 HLB contract (37-3891) used Kwik. Interesting to see how the shape of the puller is similar to that of the art deco Talon. Do you have any other photos showing the whole jacket?

Thanks for posting the photo.

Grant

tamoko

Grant said:
Tamoko,
Beautiful Kwik puller! Cool to see that the 1937 HLB contract (37-3891) used Kwik. Interesting to see how the shape of the puller is similar to that of the art deco Talon. Do you have any other photos showing the whole jacket?

Thanks for posting the photo.

Grant
I saw deco Talon ad he looks same like early Kwik.

amazing H.L.B. !!!
a2_hlb_3.jpg

a2_hlb_2.jpg

1088732-7f8e-016B021A-.jpg

1088730-ba97-016D021E-2.jpg

1088729-3d94-016D021E-2.jpg

1088728-b490-021A016B-.jpg

Swing

Grant said:
Whoa! Awesome jacket!!!
Thanks for posting the photos!

Grant

They're from the Deja days, and are posted at the ACME Depot. IIRC, there was evidence that jacket had been issued to 5 different people.

~Swing

My monitor is not real sharp, but it look like the light russett-colored hanger strip is still above the spec tag (either that, or there's a tear in the lining.) I have a depot re-dyed seal RW18091 that shows the original russett on the hanger strip (and inside the pockets as well.)

stubbyeighth

zoomer

We're really goin' to town on this peacetime Air Corps stuff all of a sudden!
I even got my Werber today from TankBuster! :mrgreen: It's gonna need a little wet down and a stretch out, but it sure is handsome.

BONNIEGIRL4 said:
I think the majority of jackets in top 2 pics are 33 Werbers, obviously those with snap pockets - TOM
Most all Weasel's pics were taken at Muroc Range, first used by the Air Corps in 1933. So the Werber was already in the supply line.

I'd hate to sew on a jacket so handsome as the Werber, but I really want one of those IXth Bombardment patches...may just stitch the edges of the patch, then stick it on with double face tape... ;)
045.jpg

asiamiles

Weasel_Loader said:

Great photo of a B-2...with pocket! We can see the pocket (which looks pretty large) is plain, like the LW, Few and BR first model, not pleated like BR's second model. Unless, of course, that's a B-1.

Grant

Duh, I completely forgot the SAT A-2 photos in ART OF THE FLIGHT JACKET (pg. 149,150) showing the spec label and stubby Talon zip.

Grant

Chandler

zoomer said:
I'd hate to sew on a jacket so handsome as the Werber, but I really want one of those IXth Bombardment patches...may just stitch the edges of the patch, then stick it on with double face tape...

Careful with the dbl-stick, I have an Eastman RW 27752 I got off E-bay a few years ago -- squad patch removed, but it looks like the applicator used dbl-stick to keep the patch in place whilst sewing -- couple finish spots pulled off.

Chandler

zoomer

Eek :eek: How about rubber cement? Never hurt anything. I've even heard stories of children covering themselves in it - it just rolls off and makes boogers.