• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photos of pre-war A-2s worn during WWII?

Nickb123

I’ve been watching a bunch of WWII documentaries, and a thought occurred to me. Have there been any pre-war A-2 contracts spotted later on worn by US airmen? (Let’s say ‘41-‘45 here). Or were they already cycled out of service by that time?

Feel free to post any pics or jackets that appear to be earlier here.

mulceber

How about some of the Doolittle Raiders? Gotta imagine the majority of those are pre-war -- if only just barely.
Yep, Doolittle raid had a large number of Dubow 20960s and Aero 16160s.

I’ve been watching a bunch of WWII documentaries, and a thought occurred to me. Have there been any pre-war A-2 contracts spotted later on worn by US airmen? (Let’s say ‘41-‘45 here). Or were they already cycled out of service by that time?

Feel free to post any pics or jackets that appear to be earlier here.
Oh, tons, I'm sure. They didn't cycle them out. If someone had been issued an A-2 in the mid-30s, he didn't get a new one when the next batch came in. So loads of officers who had been in the Air Corps since the mid '30s would have had earlier contracts. And then there were always going to be a few that lingered in the quartermaster's depot unissued, only to be given to an airman once the war started.

Chandler

Erik Shilling in what's been (tentatively) identified as a pre-war Aero.
aGB1nff.jpg

While I can't directly date the pic, Shilling arrived in China with the AVG in 1941, so even with the US involvement a few months off, the date still fits the request.