• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photobucket Virus Attack

Jaydee

I was attacked by a Trojan Virus on PB yesterday. Luckily I have strong virus protection and removal tools so only a fragment of the file made it to my registry. It did not effect my perfomance and I was able to delete it. So Shields Up folks! I was surprised to get hit on Photobucket!

Weasel_Loader

Ouch!!! I'm a PB user. Hopefully I'll be safe with my MAC.

BTW, I'm sure PB is all over this seeing as how it could destroy their business.

Cobblers161

Interesting, I had an attack too.

Jaydee what security software you using? I managed to deal with it but had a few issues doing so.

Jaydee

Cobblers161 said:
Interesting, I had an attack too.

Jaydee what security software you using? I managed to deal with it but had a few issues doing so.

I am running Mcafee Enterprise 8.7i. But for scanning your computer I recommed using Malwarebyte's AntiMalware in addition. It is available online for free just google it.

sixties.nut

Do you just have to visit their site, or where you trying to upload a photo to see this mess. There are so many sites I don't visit anymore due to this junk. I've even switched to bing because google promotes malware sites in search results. Crazy Times. The way it looks in no time at all, we'll be back to doing morse code (via the internet)!

Makes me wonder if we have 'Top People' looking into this?

Jaydee

sixties.nut said:
Do you just have to visit their site, or where you trying to upload a photo to see this mess. There are so many sites I don't visit anymore due to this junk. I've even switched to bing because google promotes malware sites in search results. Crazy Times. The way it looks in no time at all, we'll be back to doing morse code (via the internet)!

Makes me wonder if we have 'Top People' looking into this?

I don't worry too much about it. Have good protection, update frequently and if something pops up, close the browser tab immediatly and asess the situation. Research what you got and delete the files properly. It is sad that some people make a hobby out of creating destructive viruses.

The attack happen while I was browsing through my albums.

I am still using photobucket. I was on there today no problems.

sixties.nut

Thanks Jaydee, I had seen someone on another forum post the same observation. I also use Photobucket and now they make you login every thirty days to keep your 'free' account active. It changes the complexion of things considerably. For what it's worth Facebook has for some time been dealing with widespread malware downloads to it's users. I couldn't tell you if their doing anything about it or not as I am not a Facebook user. I have had to format serveral drives for users of my work lan and of course they were all users of Facebook.

Why these people write malware is beyond me, it's not like they could possibly make any money from it.

Mike