• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pharrell Williams "The Voice"

Stony

I was watching "The Voice" last night with my wife and see Pharrell Williams wearing an original A-2 with an embroidered AAF HQ patch on the left shoulder. There were several closeups of him in the jacket and I believe it to be original. It's in nice shape with maybe the cuffs being replaced.

I'm sure our leading experts on the forums will probably ID the maker.

Cheers,

Stony

Atticus

I've been watching, too. I can't decide for sure if it's an original or a very good repro. Sure looks original.

AF

ButteMT61

There's a lot of cats in that generation who wear originals. One of the guys from the Twilight films has a great one as do others. At least they're not wearing those hideous $10k fashion coats out there.

shedonwanna

I noticed it too and was waiting for some comments here on the forum. It had a vintage look but my eye isn't as trained as oters here on the forum.

chamboid

I think it's a early Eastman repro. But only because of the colour of the shoulder decal which you can just about make out in the above photo. It's much lighter in colour like the Eastman ones.

colekwok

chamboid said:
I think it's a early Eastman repro. But only because of the colour of the shoulder decal which you can just about make out in the above photo. It's much lighter in colour like the Eastman ones.

I agree, likely to be an Eastman. This fellow seems to have taste. He was spotted in Lewis Leather in London a while ago.

TankBuster

I thought it was a original as well when I first saw it, but the further I got into the show, the more I started thinking repro as well. Fantastic wear on it. Looks really great.

Atticus

I guess there's no sure-fire thing to look for, but I always look at the pocket flaps and collar tips. Seems like old and well-worn jackets often (but not always) show their age through their broken-in, stained pocket flaps and irregularly curled collar tips. Pharrell's jacket had almost flat pocket flaps...but it had a curled, very original looking collar. I'd look at one shot of the jacket and think it was an original...and change my mind in the next shot. Pretty much missed the show puzzling over the jacket.

One thing was for sure, though. The jacket was a couple of sizes too small for Williams. It didn't cover his belt when he stood and the knits were way above his wrist when he extended his arm. So I thought, if it's a repro, why didn't he order one that fits? So now I'm guessing it's a very good repro purchased from eBay.

AF

DiamondDave

Gents,

JC and I spoke at length via email about this very topic on Tuesday morning. He wondered if the cap that Pharrel was wearing, was one of mine, (it wasn't), but I digress.

John believes that the jacket in question is indeed an original, probably Bronco 29191. The collar shape, beveled pockets and extreme shortness all lead to this conclusion, as nobody makes a reproduction that damned short! Also it looks like an AAF HQ patch has been sewn on, perhaps to cover damage or just because they could.

Cheers,

DD

Thor814

Pharrell's cap is a Brixton fiddler. They come in a wide variety of colors and fabrics and are very nicely constructed (I have 4 different ones). Similar in shape and fit to the ubiquitous Greek fisherman cap but with a more utilitarian, rustic look.

ButteMT61

Got this pic and stared at the screen on the big screen for a while. That jacket is not a repop - at least not one newer than about 70 years old.

See this pic I shot of the screen. The soil inside of the collar to me is the biggest point, along with the hide, wear, patina, etc.

IMG_8489.jpg

ButteMT61

I think too many old farts think sh*t like that. I spend a good deal of time with my son and his friends.
They're all musicians and/or actors and artists and I'll tell you that they have a very strong love and sense of history and I'd not spend too much time thinking that every kid is a clueless twat.
I'm often surprised by what they do know and care about (young 20's) and it makes me happy to see when I often thought they could care less. Just sayin'

Atticus

I've sort of watched tha last several seasons of "The Voice". My girlfriend likes it, so I watch it when she's got it on. I'll say this, Pharrell Williams appears to like classic leather...mostly moto. He may or may not be into A-2 history as deeply as are the members here, but I'd bet he knows he's wearing an original WWII flight jacket. And I couldn't help but notice that he's left it original...he hasn't festooned it with ridiculous "bomber jacket" patches or dangles and badges and crap.

AF

bn1966

Cool dude...good sounds..trying to promote his tunes at Scooter rallies E.G. "Happy" ...a classic!!!!! Not surprised he wears great clobber...I'm with Atticus & Butte on this one :)

chamboid

I think he knows what he's wearing. He's and extremely clever and talented producer who knows how to dress. He knows what he's doing. I'm 29 and I know 23 year olds who know what they are buying when they spend money on a vintage piece, especially anything with a military history. Though it might not have the historic connotations or relevance to as many, as a 'fashion' peice the history sort of come with it.

I'm pleased it's an original though. From the first picture really thought it was a Eastman Repro. But nice to see old jackets being worn well and not cloistered away on a maniquin or wardrobe.