• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peg-Leg Pete... Navy style

jbmilart

Hey Fellas... Just finished a couple of patches with Peg-Leg Pete... Navy style. This patch design originally came from the VPB-81st Bombing Squadron on the USS Princeton (CV-37) circa 1945. The squadron was changed over to the VF-132nd Fighter Squadron in 1946. This patch artwork doesn't have many existing photos of the original artwork... and only found one rather poor color photo which was done really bad... IMO. I did these patches from a single black and white image and researched the colors that Disney used on Peg-Leg Pete... and came up with the patch artwork you see now. The only differences between the two patches are the grey colors of the jackets... light grey and a darker grey color. The background colors are a turquoise blue with a light yellow orange moon in the center. Both patches are 5 inch in diameter.

Jim

001VF-132Peg-LegPete_zpsae1f3eee.jpg

006-3_zps4f715256.jpg

003VF-132Peg-LegPete2_zpsd45fdf94.jpg

005-2_zps1fc17931.jpg

jbmilart

Thanks Treetop... I've done a few Navy patches and they are all posted on my website.

It seems that the majority of all Navy patches are machine embroidered patches... The Navy Department has very strict "uniformity" rules and regulations dealing with patches... I know, as I have a simplified 4 page version of the Navy regulations pertaining to patches. It's too bad, that the Navy doesn't allow painted leather patches... because there are many really cool Navy squadron patch artwork out there, and would really look great on painted leather... not to mention... leather last much longer than embroidered cloth too! (IMO). I guess it shouldn't really matter that much, if you're just placing a reproduction painted leather patch on a re-pop G1 leather jacket... but if you're going to replace a old original embroidered patch with a painted leather patch... might not go over too well with the Navy "traditionalists" out there... ready to pounce, and tell you how wrong you are for using a leather patch on a Navy jacket... But I still like to make them just the same...

Jim