• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pecards or Lexol?

Who

I have jackets in goat and cow. DO I need to get Pecards? I understand from many that it is the best stuff going. I have been using Lexol. Any advice? I can't find Pecards in Australia, only tiny tubes of Harley Davidson dressing (made by Pecards) for $20.00.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Who said:
I have jackets in goat and cow. DO I need to get Pecards?

Unless you are renovating a vintage jacket, or you've had one in the washing machine ... you probably don't need anything.

Who

Thanks Deeb7. Yes, I have washed the goat and some of the cow and I have a kangaroo that is many years old.

I guess I'm wondering if one of these products is better for the leather.

Cheers

dadgad

Don't know about Lexol but I used Pecard on goat skin, cowhide and steerhide with fantastic results.

Andrew

Who said:
I have jackets in goat and cow. DO I need to get Pecards? I understand from many that it is the best stuff going. I have been using Lexol. Any advice? I can't find Pecards in Australia, only tiny tubes of Harley Davidson dressing (made by Pecards) for $20.00.

Just send Geoff Pringle an email, he's a rep for them and tell him I sent you. He'll send a small tub that should last a lifetime....... I have many vintage aviation leather items and it goes a veeery long way used with discretion.

http://www.oldnautibits.com/contact_us.shtml

Who

Leadsky said:
Who said:

Just send Geoff Pringle an email, he's a rep for them and tell him I sent you. He'll send a small tub that should last a lifetime....... I have many vintage aviation leather items and it goes a veeery long way used with discretion.

http://www.oldnautibits.com/contact_us.shtml

Cool. And thanks a lot.

kevlarg

On my vintage A-2 I used lexol to clean it and after it had dried for a few days I rubbed in a conservative amount of pecards and haven't had to since (6 months). The pecards definitely softened the jacket a bit as it was a little stiff with 60 plus years of age.

Owen

I've had some jackets that were pretty stiff when I got them.
Because Lexol is liquid it's easy to work into the leather and
make it flexible again. After it dries I come back and apply
Pecards.

It's worked really well for me. I've read a lot of bad things
about both products, but I've had good experiences with both.

Owen

fl1946

Couple weeks ago I had a disaster using Lexol leather cleaner (the stuff in orange spray) to "clean" my ELC 1401 collar. Needless to say I was dumb and too lazy to try it on an inconspicious spot and lightly wiped the collar with the cream on cotton cloth. Lexol cleaner did remove some of the dark smudges, but it ALSO dulled the beautiful pantina. The collar is now darker than the rest of the jacket. If I had a third leg I'd kick myself in the butt for doing it.

Gary @ Eastman thwarted my thoughts about commiting hari kari after seeing my pics. Told me it just looked "worn" and not to replace or re-dye the collar. The rest of the jacket would catch up. If you are thinking about using Lexol, test it first. I learned my lesson.

One life, one jacket...saved. :roll:

rikitiki

I've used both Lexol and Pecard's on my jackets. Pecard's works better on goat, horsehide and cowhide, but it's too thick for my lambskin. Lexol goes on my lambskins.

Pete17

I use Pecards. I have a couple of tubs in clear and in russet brown. Great for treating those scuffed spots and wear marks. Works a treat.

I'm in Australia too and it's just a matter of sending pecards an email and they'll help you out.
Also available on ebay too last time I looked.

Cheers
Pete

Lohan

I don't like either. They're both too gooey. What I've found to be far and away the best is Apple Leather Care for cowhide, and Leatherique for horsehide. They're not greasy, don't really change the appearance of the hide, and soften it a lot.

FlyingYankee

The reason not to use anything but pecards, Lexol or Snow seal is that most other products will rot the stitches, neatsfoot oil is made from the bones of cattle and works good on horse harness but don't use it on your jackets or shoes.

dmar836

I have yet to hear anything bad about 100% neatsfoot oil. To what are you referring?
Interested,
Dave

herk115

deeb7 said:
Who said:
I have jackets in goat and cow. DO I need to get Pecards?

Unless you are renovating a vintage jacket, or you've had one in the washing machine ... you probably don't need anything.

I've gone to the Pecard's website and found that though there are numerous dealers in California I live 100 miles away from all of them. So it's going to be a road trip or mail order for me. I noticed that Pecard's has several products. What I need is something that will make Eastman Warhorse that literally did go through the washing machine soft again; something that will restore some older G-1s (horse or goat I can't tell); and something just for general preservation or periodic maintenance, like when I put the jackets away for the summer. Can you guys suggest just which Pecard's product(s) I need to buy? Thanks.

Cheers,

Larry