• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pea coats / jackets

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Folks,

Is there a proper designation for the pea coat / jacket?

Are they still issued?

Does any one make a leather version?

Is there a history online from initial issue to today?

Bill French

Peter Graham

Bill, WW2 Pea coats appear quite frequently on ebay. They are meant to be much better quality than the modern ones.

Atticus

Hi Bill,

I bought this one three years ago. Its an issued 1992 Sterlingwear Of Boston. I like it OK---its very warm---but I don't wear it much. It weighs only a few pounds less than a Volkswagen.

Dscn3577.jpg

AF

mazeta

Peter Graham said:
Bill, WW2 Pea coats appear quite frequently on ebay. They are meant to be much better quality than the modern ones.
The difference between the WW2 era and modern ones is like night and day. The wool, the fit, the liner, the pockets and their liners...everything.

Vcruiser

Bill
Here's a new one from Banana Republic....$130..purchased last fall. Lighter weight...but actually quite nice IMO. I've had several that were almost too heavy.

Pics taken late evening...but perhaps they'll turn out...
100_1028.jpg

100_1036.jpg

Van

Chandler

Atticus said:
I bought this one three years ago. Its an issued 1992 Sterlingwear Of Boston. I like it OK---its very warm---but I don't wear it much.

I have one from the same manufacturer and like it a lot. Bought it from a surplus store about 7 years ago for... $75. At the time the Pea Coat was just making a fashion resurgence (how many is that?) and many mall stores had knockoffs going for closer to $200 and up!

I like the pea coat for cold winter days, and I also call it my "thug" coat -- thanks to Spenser for Hire. ;)

It weighs only a few pounds less than a Volkswagen.

Ain't that the truth! But nice when the wind chills are at -20.

Chandler

kevlarg

I have one that dates from 1953. It is different from the WW2 version in that it has 8 buttons and not 10. Also I believe there was some kind of collar flap thing on the ww2 version but I could be wrong about that.

It is a very heavy jacket that is also very warm. The wool is much denser and thicker than today's pea-coat. The pockets are lined with a nice camel colored wide-waled cuorderoy (sp?). These are pretty easy to get a hold of.

I bought mine 15 years ago in the Chicagoland suburbs. The proximity to Great Lakes makes Chi-town a very fertile hunting ground for these.

I have seen a leather version here in NYC at Daves work wear it is made by schott. http://www.davesnewyork.com/index.cfm/a ... r-Pea-Coat

A

Anonymous

Warning, wearing of this type of jacket causes women to swoon over you. Happened to me in several ports around the globe. (Having lots of cash might work too).

Peter Graham

wing nut said:
Warning, wearing of this type of jacket causes women to swoon over you. Happened to me in several ports around the globe. (Having lots of cash might work too).
I have neither, therefore I am swoon free.

Vcruiser

Peter Graham said:
wing nut said:
I have neither, therefore I am swoon free.

Just roll up a sock,Peter. Hacker said that always worked for him......
Dawg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Vcruiser said:
Just roll up a sock,Peter. Hacker said that always worked for him......

We've all seen the snow plough picture .... where on earth would he keep the sock? :?

Curahee

I bought one 8 years ago ( French made /Faconable) and fel in love with the moment I saw it. Didn't even know it was a classic Navy jacket :roll: That the A-2 and B-10 is all I wear now.

I have nothing with clothing what so ever, I hate to go out to buy new clothes but somehow instinctively I keep buying these classic garments.

Django

What are the values and how do I tell the age? I just found one at a Goodwill and if it's worth something, I may go back for it.

the tag is very plain and says USN.

Looks like on ebay they are rampant and not worth a whole lot.

Peter Graham

Django said:
the tag is very plain and says USN.
Sounds like it might be a copy. Any US Navy jacket I've seen has something like 'Navy Department Contract No' followed by the contract. I've never seen a pea coat though.

kevlarg

There is a thread on the Fedora lounge board that tells you how to identify the age of your pea coat. There is usually a spec tag and a name tag and depending on what they look like that is one clue to the age. The spec tag should have some numbers that can be divined into the year it was made. Also I believe that the WW2 versions had ten buttons and not 8 like the later ones so there is a start.

Sertsa

The temperature dropped to the freezing point today, so I got out my Pea Coat. I bought it last year from Sterling Wear. I don't recall any women swooning, unfortunately, but it does look really good.