• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patton B3 listed on Eastman site

a2jacketpatches

Looks great! Love Patched Jackets! I think Gary made a good choice on this one and they'll sell nicely. Still plenty of deep pockets out there believe me, lots of my 23rd FG's at a higher cost than this one, lots.

Roughwear

There is one area where the jacket is not accurate. Eastman has correctly painted the 3 stars on both shoulders. However they have incorrectly applied three leather stars on the custom epaulets. Patton had the epaulets added to hold three bullion stars. On promotion these were re-aligned to take a forth silver bullion star. A small detail perhaps, but for £1400 one that should have been rendered correct with silver bullion stars not painted leather ones.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
You've ordered one then ?
:D

No mate. I'm extremely happy with my mixed batch Perry! I can't see me buying this and parading around town in it. It will be interesting to see if any show up over here being worn by people other than Patton re-enactors!

John Lever

Roughwear said:
John Lever said:
You've ordered one then ?
:D

No mate. I'm extremely happy with my mixed batch Perry! I can't see me buying this and parading around town in it. It will be interesting to see if any show up over here being worn by people other than Patton re-enactors!
I agree Andrew it is somewhat ostentatious. But the Perry is a stunner.

ADC

Don't like the idea of wearing rank badges, insignia, medals etc, when not earned without a bloody good reason. Bad form.

a2jacketpatches

ADC said:
Don't like the idea of wearing rank badges, insignia, medals etc, when not earned without a bloody good reason. Bad form.

Stolen Valor is one thing, but my personal opinion is that a tribute to the man, unit, and overall history is good reason enough. Every day a new interest is sparked by the cool factor of a jacket like this and generates questions. It educates someone that may otherwise go on their entire lives without a care for it. It might sound a little cheesy to say so but the Top Gun jacket did that for me way back. And just yesterday I find myself on the phone with the Commander of Top Gun Aggressor Squadron discussing the patches I'll be making for 63 members. I sht you not.

Just my personal opinion and I agree that wearing this stuff isn't for everyone so nobody is "pissing into the wind" here and completely entitled to their own opinion.

Roughwear

ADC said:

This is a replica of Patton's B-3 and therefore without the insignia is not a replica of this iconic jacket! I hardly think 99% of people will care that the owner has not earned the right to wear a 3 star general's jacket. I have several original A2s with rank insignia which I wear from time to time and have no intention of removing as this will spoil the integrity of a historical item.

a2jacketpatches

To remove a piece of history from an original jacket is an entirely different story, but true, most people wouldn't care even if they knew enough to begin with these days.

Roughwear

a2jacketpatches said:
To remove a piece of history from an original jacket is an entirely different story, but true, most people wouldn't care even if they knew enough to begin with these days.

I agree on both counts. Moreover most people who wear the Patton jacket today could hardly be mistaken for a WW2 vet! I have no problem with re-enactors wearing rank insignia as they are paying tribute to those people they represent/honour.

a2jacketpatches

Roughwear said:
a2jacketpatches said:

I agree on both counts. Moreover most people who wear the Patton jacket today could hardly be mistaken for a WW2 vet! I have no problem with re-enactors wearing rank insignia as they are paying tribute to those people they represent/honour.

Yes Sir, a great way for those with a deep interest to educate others and have a hellova-lotta fun in the process. Love seeing guys all dressed up at the air shows here in the States and I see that it's very common over there as well.

ADC

Wearing ranked originals or replicas at appropriate events like re-enactments can be argued as acceptable. But seriously who is going to pay 1400 quid on a jacket to wear a couple of times a year at special events. A jacket like this would be acceptable with just the patches and bare epulettes for normal wearing purposes IMO. I just find that this jacket crosses the line, bearing in mind the likely target buyers. Mostly spoilt rich kids and wanna be's no doubt.

These day the all about me attitude and basking on reflected glory is all pervasive. i find it particularly annoying that at our ANZAC Day March people wear their ancestors medals. If they wish to honour their ancestors they should carry the medals in a frame held out in front of them. But that would be too uncomfortable and inconvenient for modern style paying tribute and it takes the focus off them for the Facebook photos.

a2jacketpatches

Have to say that I disagree quite a bit here. Some time back I offered all rank insignia made in leather but soon after discontinued them due to lack of interest. For the most part the majority shows a great deal of respect concerning rank. The wannabees are few and far between. Units on the other hand? I think it's perfectly acceptable for anyone, especially a citizen of the units country to be proud and commemorate by wearing a replica with unit patches, it is public domain. I can tell that most of my customers are history nuts as well, they take the time to learn about what they choose to wear. What does get a little irritating is when an extremely dedicated enthusiast speaks of others as if he out ranks them in some way. No matter how you slice it, we are all just enthusiasts.

I spent my time in Strategic Air Command and recently decided to start grabbing everything I can. I prefer the following 1950's stuff because it's bigger, about 4.5 inches as opposed to the patches I was issued at 3 inches. Got a few jackets recently that I'll be decking out for my own personal collection, couple of M-51's and an N-2A, just like the one I wore walking a Buff all night. I earned the right to wear em as far as I'm concerned but would actually be honored in a way if I found a life long civy wearing them. Especially if he knew what he was wearing.