• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patching a Buzz L-2a

Mich

Thanks for the tips and those vintage pics.
Personally i think patches with red and yellow details look especially good on blue jackets, so i'm going to take that into account.
I like the look the guy in the last pic is sporting with the red cap, i might just go hunting for a repro red cap from that era, i've also seen it in lots of old movies.
A few days ago i watched X-15, not a well know film i think, but lots of cool pilot gear to be seen in it.

Mich

Willy McCoy

Mich, proper patches for the L2-A era jackets are Large - generally 5 inches in diameter - and theater made. Stay away from computer or high tech loomed patches. Notice that they generally have a squadron and maybe a name patch only.

Mich

Willy McCoy said:
Mich, proper patches for the L2-A era jackets are Large - generally 5 inches in diameter - and theater made. Stay away from computer or high tech loomed patches. Notice that they generally have a squadron and maybe a name patch only.
Proper theater made patches might be hard to come by though, and how to recognize the differences being a layman?

Mich

Rutger

Notice the position of the name tag on the 4th of Stu's pics: usually these are smack in the middle of where his squadron patch is, now it's high near the shoulder. Too bad I can't count the stitches ;) . Can't remember having seen them that high anywhere else, but then there must have been other pilots in his squadron.

bebel

Tape name placed so high on the shoulder are not too common but I've already seen such. Especially on USN G-1s.

Franck

Willy McCoy

Mich said:
Proper theater made patches might be hard to come by though, and how to recognize the differences being a layman?
Mich

The most simple way is to take a crash course on eBay. Go to "USAF patch" in militaria and then click on the side bar for "Korea", "Vietnam" and then go to "Current". Use your zoom and compare the tightness of the weave, if the patch looks like it was computer generated. You'll be able to tell the differences in no time.