• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patched Korean War Monarch G-1 7823 (AER)

bazelot

I just received my Korean War Monarch G-1 and it is in stellar condition. Everything is original and the leather is in perfect shape and is the heaviest I have seen. The patches are original to the jacket and reflect the pilot's service. He was first with VC-3 during Korea and then went on to VF-23 after the war (I am still researching the pilot, any help would be welcome :)). I had been looking for a true Korean war jacket with patches for a while and I am quite glad with this one.
Pictures are not the best quality as I took them with my Iphone.

A picture of Guy Bordelon of VC-3 sporting the same VC-3 patch (courtesy of Maverikson):

Strange placement of patches. Why are his squadron patches on the shoulders of the sleeves and why is the CTF 77 patch on the right front of the jacket? Typically one of the squadron patches would be on the right front of the jacket and the CTF 77 patch would be on the sleeve. Unless he was on the CTF 77 Staff when he had the patches put on.

airfrogusmc

Treetopflyer said:
Strange placement of patches. Why are his squadron patches on the shoulders of the sleeves and why is the CTF 77 patch on the right front of the jacket? Typically one of the squadron patches would be on the right front of the jacket and the CTF 77 patch would be on the sleeve. Unless he was on the CTF 77 Staff when he had the patches put on.

When I was in (USMC 73-77) I had every squadron I flew in on the back and the current on the front and duty stations to. I knew one guy that had embroidered dragons made in PI one each for arm like tattoos of his G-1. Our jackets were like a history of our service.

airfrogusmc said:
Treetopflyer said:

When I was in (USMC 73-77) I had every squadron I flew in on the back and the current on the front and duty stations to. I knew one guy that had embroidered dragons made in PI one each for arm like tattoos of his G-1. Our jackets were like a history of our service.

I get the part about putting patches on the flight jacket to personalize it and show someone's service history. We still do that today. It's all about personal preference, but I find it odd that he would have a CTF 77 patch on the chest in place of a squadron patch, that's all. My presumption is that he was on the CTF 77 staff when he had the patches sewn on. Most guys (did/do) have their current or last operational squadron patch on the chest.

With that said, it's still a beautiful jacket and I would love to find one in such great shape.

bebel

W.W. Sharpe was flying Banshee with VF-23 for the 1956 CV-10 Pacific cruise. I believe that this beautiful jacket was certainly patched after his time with VF-23. Else he would have sewn the squadron patch on the chest. The Yorktown Centurion patch is terrific!

From the same time, here's the VF-23 commanding officer's G-1 (also a Monarch!): http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15994. On the displayed VF-23 pilots picture is standing your pilot.

Franck

bazelot

bebel said:
W.W. Sharpe was flying Banshee with VF-23 for the 1956 CV-10 Pacific cruise. I believe that this beautiful jacket was certainly patched after his time with VF-23. Else he would have sewn the squadron patch on the chest. The Yorktown Centurion patch is terrific!

From the same time, here's the VF-23 commanding officer's G-1 (also a Monarch!): http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15994. On the displayed VF-23 pilots picture is standing your pilot.

Franck

THanks for your input. From the look of the stitching it looks like the Nametag and VC-3 patch were first sewn on to the jacket and then the 3 other patches were sewn with a different machine and different thread. I think he was in Korea with VC-3 (the patch is the Korean war version) and then later on he added the 3 other patches. I really wish I could talk to him to ask him, he might still be around but I doubt it....
Franck, did you find him on the roster of VF-23 in 1956? That would tie in with the Century Club patch for the '56 Fra East cruise.
THe pictures really do not justice to the jacket

bebel

Yes, he was with the VF-23 in 1956. You can see him on the squadron's pilots picture I put on my photo of the two jackets from this cruise.

Franck