• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patched and Painted WW2 A-2

hairpin151

I'm no expert but the paint and patch does'nt seem to have the same "patina" as the jacket to me,but again I'm no expert.

A

Anonymous

If you close at the jacket it has stich holes from a previous name tag and squadron patch ,this jacket may of been turned in to to be reissued to another crew member .So the art work may have been on there when reissued to the next guy ,the original patches were probably taken off by the first owner for keeps as a sounvenir . The jacket at that time was the property of the US army .Or the other reason is that I am wrong and someone has doctered it up to sell .

All the best Jeff .

Roughwear

The seller is a newbie so perhap one should take care buying this jacket from him. The start price is quite high and there is a reserve as well. The 8 balls patch may well be a later addition and the bombs on the back look pristine and may be post war as wear marks seem to run under them! It is a nice jacket, but without documented provenance it may be wise to give this one a miss. My money is on a recently embellished jacket in order to inflate the price.

bob capa

I was going to go after this but i became a little suspicious at the restiching of the nametag and 8 ball patch but as DubowA2 said the army diod own the jacket so it may have had more than one owner

the name tag looks like Paul M. Holmes

I had a look around the 44th BG site ecspecially in the 67th Sq. history unfortunatly i cannot ownload the others as im overseas with the aussie army and the internet is patchy at best but if anyone can find anything let me know

http://www.44thbombgroup.com/

cheers

A

Anonymous

I have seen a lot of 44th patches and this one looks real WW2 period ,no one is making such a patch in this style that I am aware of .But that said the provenance is not proven and the addition of the wings makes me suspicious ,the bombs on the back I would like to see a closer picture to determine real or fake .I myself would not be happy to bid on the jacket as offered due to the lack of history .Rgds Jeff

Roughwear

There seems to be a bidding war between two people, one of whom is a high profile Japanese dealer/collector. Taking into account the newbie seller, the question of provenance and the replaced knits/waistband I am a little surprised it has gone past the $2,000 mark already. How high will it go?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
... I'm wondering what happened here? Was it sold outside Ebay and this guy has decided to re-sell it or is it the same seller with a different ID?

Since eBay pulled the first listing, it looks like the seller has had to get someone else to put it up.

With the phone number now in the description the bidders can make contact this time.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
Any idea why?

It's eBay .... who knows, perhaps someone reported something ??

All I know is that if you re-list, and repeat the offence, they turn nasty.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
All I know is that if you re-list, and repeat the offence, they turn nasty.
But you can't actually "relist" a cancelled auction because all the info is removed. So you're basically creating a new listing and there shouldn't be any way of connecting the two. Of course, unless I was somehow changing the listing to comply with eBay's ludicrous policies (ie. why the auction was pulled) I would probably wait a week before listing it again just in case "someone" was checking. I don't know if eBay keep records of how many cancelled auctions each seller has, along with reasons for cancellation. Usually it seems auctions are cancelled for quite innocent reasons, while things that blatantly flaunt the law are allowed to run and run in their hundreds of thousands.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
But you can't actually "relist" a cancelled auction because all the info is removed. So you're basically creating a new listing and there shouldn't be any way of connecting the two.

Sure ... but it's still re-listing.

Here's what they say ....

Relisting prohibited or restricted Items – While there may be similar listings that have been or are currently listed on eBay, this does not mean that they’re acceptable. If you feel that your item should not have been removed, you should not re-list it. Instead please contact eBay by using the Prohibited or Restricted item link in the “If you disagree with the ending of your listing” section of this page. Continuing to list an item that has been removed could result in suspension from eBay. You could also be subject to legal action in some cases.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Sure ... but it's still re-listing.

Here's what they say ....

Relisting prohibited or restricted Items – While there may be similar listings that have been or are currently listed on eBay, this does not mean that they’re acceptable. If you feel that your item should not have been removed, you should not re-list it. Instead please contact eBay by using the Prohibited or Restricted item link in the “If you disagree with the ending of your listing” section of this page. Continuing to list an item that has been removed could result in suspension from eBay. You could also be subject to legal action in some cases.

Was this removed because it was a "Prohibited or Restricted item" or for some other reason? Who knows?! Maybe someone, for some illogical reason, contacted eBay saying, "It's a fake!" but would eBay simply accept such a claim and just cancel it? I'm a little puzzled how a flight jacket might in anyway construed to be a "Prohibited or Restricted item."