• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting name question

Silver Surfer

have a patch or and the back painted with a frontal view of a big gal of color, big tits, hairy....., smoking a cigar, and wearing an american indian head dress. did i leave anything out? in this way, you will all the bases covered by pissing off one and all. needs words for the back? how about, "fire in the hold". oops, almost forgot, paint some swastikas across the bottom for the final touch.

Last edited:

unclegrumpy

Probably best to keep the 443rd BS off your list as well....

post-492-0-14691200-1446181470.jpg

Whatsit

Well Silver Surfer not sure my wife would let me out alive with it on but just think. If we all just thumbed our nose to pc they’d have no power left over us

Whatsit

I’m still deciding what to do for the back. I want the jacket to be a fighters jacket vs a bombers jacket

Last edited:

B-Man2

I’ve decided to go with on the back Porky Pig and it saying “That’s All Volks”
On front shoulders the USAAF patch and the 8th patch on the other shoulder
On the front right side a USAAF 21stvBomb Squadron patch
And the left side either the 61st Fighters Squadron patch or the 603rd patch of Pete

Any thoughts from anyone?

Well ...........if a little constructive criticism is welcome, I would say you have a couple of patches to many. Top gun didn’t come along until about 20 years later . Most A2 s weren’t that decorated . You’ve got the back , both shoulders and both chests , covered . Over the top by about 2 patches. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Whatsit

yes I love constructive criticism. Most jackets did not I agree 100% with you.
Thanks!
Mike

Last edited:

unclegrumpy

Far fewer Fighter Squadron back painted A-2's, but try googling the 368th FG "Panzer Dusters"....they had some neat ones...

falcon_ib

Unfortunately it doesn't matter if a stereotype is perceived as respectful because it remains harmful by nature. A stoic chief, for example, may seem respectful, but reflects the tired tropes of the proud and stubborn Indian savage who is isolated from the modern world, a relic of the past. Native people are very alive and very present in America today, and while they maintain connections to their heritage, do not wish to be seen as war-like exotic savages in full war bonnet. They wear normal clothes, have normal jobs, and live lives as normal as the rest of us.

Additionally, Indian stereotypes were created intentionally to justify taking land from natives and settling it with European immigrants. History proves that it's a lot easier to displace and destroy another group if they are seen as less than human. Stereotypes like the "proud chief" and "lazy alcoholic Indian" serve this purpose of colonialism. In the 1930s-1960s, and continuing today, Indian stereotypes were used as products to create revenue, like being featured in radio shows, movies, sports, as a form of economic colonialism. Every stereotype was created for a purpose. European stereotypes today are used for comedic effect, while Native American stereotypes today are used to deny Natives jobs, education, clean water, political power, and more. Equalizing Polish and English stereotypes with Native American stereotypes ignores the context under which they were created and the ways they are used today.

I love WW2 jacket art and I understand that the 1940s were a different time where America was less politically correct. It's evident in the sheer number of squadron patches with Native American/Black caricatures on them (see 64th Bomb Squadron, 72nd Fighter Squadron, etc). I choose to use patches and jacket art that don't perpetuate stereotypes (there are plenty). However, we're wearing the jackets in 2018 and they do make a statement and have an effect on pubic opinion. It isn't possible to completely isolate jacket art/patches in the past by saying it was "just what they wore then." Going out in sports jerseys, jackets, etc that put Native American stereotypes on full display allows harmful stereotypes to continue existing.

My last 2 cents before I get off my soap box: When a group of people demand respect and your first thoughts are how it affects you, you're looking at it the wrong way.

Evan

Last edited:

Whatsit

I guess it’s different everywhere you go. In California where the liberals run wild I can imagine wearing a braves baseball cap would be considered hate speech. In Oklahoma it’s a bit different. We’re Bible believing gun carrying guys still. Yes I fully understand and I’m going with a porky pig nose art image. I’m not sure I understand what you are trying to say with your last two cents but in my humble opinion our history is what made us.

Last edited:

Whatsit

a modern day stereotype cartoon

Attachments

• 03A50C68-A305-478E-BD3A-F9B29F33B733.jpeg
    03A50C68-A305-478E-BD3A-F9B29F33B733.jpeg
    324.2 KB · Views: 150

unclegrumpy

That was my school. The mascot change was celebrated by staff and students alike. What's so bad about a raven?

The problem with the raven, is it sweeps all of the positive aspects of having a mascot that is related to Native American history away. I think one also has to be careful in taking every thing and painting it in a negative light. There is little argument that many of these old mascots needed to be changed, but the tragedy is something that both respects and continues to remember Native American history could not be found to replace them. Of course that is much harder than picking a bird.

One of the real tragedies in the extremes of this line of thought, is it takes the opportunity to educate and remember the past...both the negative and the positive aspects...out of the forefront. Evan, you bring up some very valid points, but the best way to continually force teachers to teach about them, and the students to discuss and think about them, is to not to make the unpleasant things easier to avoid.

Whatsit

I agree UncleGrumpy
This was never intended to become a political Correctness discussion thread. I’m very sorry if I’ve upset someone by placing the Native American image on the first page. As I said I’m going with a porky the pig.
I’m new here so again I didn’t intend to upset anyone here or disrespect anyone. If I have I truly apologize to you. This forum is so much fun I’d hate to upset or offended anyone.
Mike

falcon_ib

No hard feelings here. For me it’s always important to consider the context and purpose, both in the past and today.
I look forward to seeing the process of painting your jacket!

Evan

Whatsit

I did a test painting last night of Mary poppins on my wife’s old jacket. I and she are very impressed. I sprayed some color protector on it this morning. I used a combination of acrylic and oil paint. The acrylic actually acted like a stain once fully dried. I kept it very watery as in hopes it would be. Jacket should be here today.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Thanks
I’m not sure how to pm you but I’ll check with my wife and let you know
Thanks again. What sort of paint do you use if you don’t mind me asking?
Hey , thanks for the reply, I use standard acrylics , the image looks way more "glossy" than what I use now, I'll send you a "PM" shortly …….
Johnny :)

EMBLEMHUNTER

Now days nearly everyone is "offended" by something, the whole problem is many are "Too" easily" offended , and lots of the time the person/s wearing or saying the "offense" really either didn't mean it as one or realize it's that , so you have to be a bit hesitant before blowing your cork and give people the benefit of the doubt, now if they're deliberately mouthing of racial slurs and the like then that's a different thing, but when it comes to art it's in the eye of the beholder as the saying goes, and again you can't please everyone , that's just life …………...

Whatsit

I was just thinking about modern day nose art. What would this next generation of soldiers paint on their jackets and plane noses? In this new generation of males wearing tight female jeans and males wearing makeup now. And of course them needing their safe spaces. Can you even imagine? This is probably too naughty to even bring up. Oh well.