• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painted (totally painted) Early Contract N-1

chamboid

Sorry if this should be in Cloth, but thought this was worth showing.

Picked this up the other week or so, with some help from a great forum member on here.

This, is a very good condition early N-1, which has been totally painted,being the greatest care, even the zip and drawstrings have been coated. I have no way of know if this is period, or some field modification, but I really like it.

The paint is wearing off in places, creating a patina a bit like raw denim, but it has also water proofed the jacket! And it is in all respects in great shape. Zip working and present, knits perfect, jungle cloth outer no holes, only s little balding on the alpaca and hole in the label.

Question here is, is this a strange field mod? When I reieved it the paint imiediatly struck me as a U.S Naval colour. So I looked around, and see how close it is to the middle shade on the Hellcat. Almost identical.

Very pleased with this rather unique jacket in all. And fits good too.

dujardin

maybe a Navy regulation ..... all khaki material must be painted Navy blue
new cloth will be in Navy blue, so that old stock were repainted
who knows ...

Peter Graham

dujardin said:
who knows ...
Except with N-1's it was the other way round. They started off blue and changed to green. Personally I think it's a shame. A nice jacket ruined.

dujardin

Peter Graham said:
dujardin said:
who knows ...
Except with N-1's it was the other way round. They started off blue and changed to green. Personally I think it's a shame. A nice jacket ruined.

good remark Peter

Peter ... one point :D

a2jacketpatches

I love oddities like this, very possible this is a period application. Nice blue color and waterproofed as well. I would never pay top dollar for it so I hope you got a deal, but it's certainly an interesting piece worthy of many conversations and speculations. Theater modifications and stuff like this was fairly common back in the day.

chamboid

Well I paid $40 for it, silly not to, but to tell the truth, one of the best things I've bought. Having a look at the colour I do think it's a period application. Would love or know why.