• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painted jacket spotted on my travels at the weekend

Bluebottle

Spotted in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard on Saturday.
I couldn't get a good look at it though. I'm not sure what it is either tbh. It looks more like an well aged repro Irvin, with those pockets ... I do know it's not an A2 of course.
So, without in depth jacket knowledge of jackets many of you have, my gut feeling is that it's a well painted repro, that has been excellently aged ... But that's just using the old saying "if it looks too good to be true ..."

It was £950 though, so definitely not priced as an old repro!

IMG_9145.jpg
IMG_9143.jpg
IMG_9146.jpg

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

kinda looks like a mish-mash of a 1950s irvin come b-3, or something like that. andrew will be able to be more definitive about what it is. the patch dose not look right, at least compared to the original on my rw 27753. i cant say for sure without having it in hand. ditto, the back painting. over all, imho, its a post war jacket with post war art work and patch.

PADDY_M

The tag doesn't inspire me with confidence over the seller's knowledge of flight jackets! Ignorance or charlatan?
Either way... big bucks for a post war cobbled together franken jacket.

Roughwear

The seller unsuccessfully tried to sell this 1950s/60s sheepskin jacket on Ebay several months ago. He is either clueless about the jacket or hoping an uniformed buyer comes his way!

BTW. The Irvin behind is an original mid-War jacket.

johnwayne

Blooming hell, Chris Farlow, that takes me back! Recall visiting his shop in Upper St, Islington yonks ago and very tempted by a leather great coat, weighed a ton I seem to remember. Think he occasionally had an A2 or Irvin but was noted for his expertise in all things Nazi related, better at that than his singing!! Think he was just a one hit wonder although believe he was better known on the blues circuit?
Cheers
Wayne
Ps didn't buy the coat as couldn't really afford plus my Mum would have had a fit if I'd arrived home wearing said German coat!!

Silver Surfer

now, that brings me back to the mid 70s when i was in amsterdam. there was this big outdoor flea market just outside of the city center, and it had lots of wwll german gear for sale. i purchased a grey leather luftwaffe great coat, and wore it through the european winter. boy, was glad i purchased it, as it was a nasty winter. when i got back to the states and wore it, i got lotsa hairy eye ball. marching around the streets of nyc in a luftwaffe coat was little much for some folks, i reckon. bought it for about $60 and sold it for $100, which i thought was pretty amazing, considering.

Ken at Aero Leather

Blooming hell, Chris Farlow, that takes me back! Recall visiting his shop in Upper St, Islington yonks ago and very tempted by a leather great coat, weighed a ton I seem to remember. Think he occasionally had an A2 or Irvin but was noted for his expertise in all things Nazi related, better at that than his singing!! Think he was just a one hit wonder although believe he was better known on the blues circuit?
Cheers
Wayne
Ps didn't buy the coat as couldn't really afford plus my Mum would have had a fit if I'd arrived home wearing said German coat!!

First met Chris when I worked in The Marquee Club in the mid 60s. he still lived with his Mum in Islington and was a "project" of Mick Jagger's, VERY talented, great voice but terrible dorky image in the days when image was all.
To be precise he was a two hit wonder but desereved more.

...................... DO click onto these link,especially if you've never heard him before

Fast forward to the mid 70s when we were both dealing in WW2 memorabilia, we did a lot of business together between 1975-84 but to be fair, he was a bit of a chancer. When we first heard the term "Hitler's Diaries" we immediately thought of Chris!!!!

Next and last time our paths crossed, he had a stall in Campden Lock (Circa 1993?) Lydia bought a set of 1950s American aluminium Kitchen Storage Containers from him...............we still use then on a daily basis.

A true character, part Arthur Daley, part Stevie Marriott with a smattering of Del Boy!

Last edited:

Bombing IP

One hit wonder to Wide Boy !.
The first vid you posted Ken ,the dancing made me laugh . Its the way people do the obligatory dance at a wedding to this day and for the past 30 years . Suit jackets with buttons moved so the owners still fit into and are pulled out every year or so .England or America ! its the same .

BIP

Last edited:

joeson

Still see Chris Farlowe around Camden.He deals in mid-century furniture these days but I'm sure he still dabbles in militaria.