• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint question

Whatsit

hi All
If this has been discussed time and time again please delete.
I want to try painting the back of one of my jackets a nose art design. What sort of paint do you recommend. I was reading a blog where I guy uses acrylic paint you’d use to paint on canvas. Others say you need a leather paint. In the 40s I highly doubt they had special paint for leather. I could and more then likely am wrong on this point but just wondering again what you all would recommend
Thanks
Mike

Smithy

If you want to be entirely authentic then oil based paint as this was what was around bases and was used on aircraft, vehicles, etc, the closest in today's formulation is enamel paint. But with today's paint formulations you could use acrylic. Greg Gale, a member here has an A-2 sporting some Memphis Belle artwork which was painted with acrylics and looks wonderful.

seres

There are some great tutorials on The Fedora Lounge on painting leather jackets. Search for

How To Paint On Leather Jackets: A Guide by member Stand By.

Whatsit

Thanks! I’ve done a practice spot on the inside of my practice coat with both enamel and acrylic. So far acrylic rubs right off when wet but enamel is still on. I even ran a bit of sand paper over it after I knew it was dried and it really gave a cool effect. I’ll do a search for that now. Thanks again so much
Mike

Greg Gale

Hi,
Enamel is more authentic but it cracks up. Acrylic is more elastic. My girlfriend used model paint. A white base layer -special base paint for models, then the colors, then a layer of varnish. For more complex stuff, such as skin color she used oil paint.

Good luck with your project!

EBD98F70-C622-44FB-9FFD-DACA14C00B20.jpeg

Brettafett

Hi Mike, I have been wanting to do this myself for a long time, just have not found the time...
I wouldn't mind if it cracked or rubber off a bit, more vintage look perhaps.
Greg, Vicky did such a good job there.

Whatsit

I actually have a cheapie Levi jacket my wife bought years ago to keep in the trunk or boot of the car during the winter. I plan on doing my first attempt on that. Going to either be “the fighting Pelicans” or “the flying pelicans”
I’m a painter and have some great acrylic paint around but can’t get the paint to stay even hours after it’s been dried. I have model paint and tried a sample of that and it seems to work. As for pay a pro, I actually did think that at first, but I think it would mean more if I did it vs some person I’ve never met before. And I’ve looked at a lot of original jackets. They are not perfectly done and that makes them all the cooler.
Greg, what sort of Varnish did she use?
Thanks so much you all. This is great info
Cheers
Mike

Flightengineer

Thanks, Brett.
This is my favorite alligator :)
Patch, the reproduction of which is associated with one very long family story.

Whatsit

I did a test painting yesterday on my wife’s older leather jacket. I wanted to paint a porky pig but she wasn’t too keen on the idea. So I did a Mary poppins. It turned out great! Can’t wait for mine now

B-Man2

Whatever you decide to paint, you’ve got our undivided attention, so you’ve got to show it to us:)

Ken at Aero Leather

We we did painted A-2s back in the 1970s & 80s we always used a bog standard but top grade (runny) gloss paint.
Apparently that was what was most likely used back in the day.
I have say when I see old well worn examples, the paint aged perfectly
Here's a kids jacket painted around 1979 that was worn by a whole succession of kids over at least 25 years

That's All Folks.jpg