• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

P-38 Pilots with tanker Jackets

CoreyM

I've seen it stated on a few jacket makers websites that P-38 Pilots in Europe used the tanker jackets and overall pants as flight gear.

If this is true has anyone seen pictures of a tanker jacket with air corps patches or artwork? I've been thinking a tanker jacket done this way might make for a really useful easy to wear jacket.

B-Man2

At the National Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio . There are several examples of tanker jackets which had painted backs like A-2s which had been utilized by pilots from various units.

Last edited:

Grant

Haven't been able to collect any photos of P-38 pilots rocking Tankers, but here area a few A-20 and B-24 crew sporting them.
Tanker1.jpg
Tanker2.jpg
Tanker3.jpg
Tanker4.jpg
Tanker5.jpg

B-Man2

Here ya go!
Here's a P38 pilots tanker flight jacket.
Check out the 2nd photo of the patch.

Attachments

• IMG_6207.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 348
  • IMG_6208.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 371

CBI

the tanker is my fave WW2 jacket and I love the pilot pics (there are many other pics out there). I have owned a number of tanker repros and patched a few. I think you may be better off w/o patches. I have always regretted the look on a tanker.

veli1

the tanker is my fave WW2 jacket and I love the pilot pics (there are many other pics out there). I have owned a number of tanker repros and patched a few. I think you may be better off w/o patches. I have always regretted the look on a tanker.

I concur with you CBI, i like my Eastman A-2 alot but good old Tanker "look" is also unbeatable.
Here are some pics from my archive...
1754-2254b98596c124252a97d05716e9bc29.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
URL]

CoreyM

Wow you guys don't disappoint!

Looks like a lot of the guys didn't bother to patch them either during the war either. I jut love looking at some of the squadron patches I've seen posted on the forum but I can see the clean look as well being appealing.

CBI

you know, many of the real star pilots, aces, etc. did not patch/paint their jackets. They were too cool/waaaaay too focused on their jobs to even think of it.

B-Man2

By the way I forgot to mention that the frayed right shoulder of the tanker jacket in the photo I posted, according to the placard next to the jacket, was shrapnel from a 20 mm high explosive shell