• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Outstanding WWII VBF-1 modified flight deck helmet

bazelot

I just acquired a wonderful modified deck helmet that belonged to VBF-1 pilot Harold Kenneth Lindquist. Lindquist saw action at the end of the war with VBF-1 and was recommended for the DFC and Air Medal. Harold Lindquist got his wings in 1943 and at the end of 1944 was sent to the forward area with VB-100 which was a training unit. On April 17th 1945 he joined VBF-1 on the USS Bennington. VBF-1 then conducted strikes against the Japanese home islands from June 17th to mid August. I managed to find the whole War Diary of VBF-1. There I found pictures of him and the whole squadron.
The helmet is a rare brown deck helmet (with 288s contract tag still attached). Brown deck helmets were used by plane Captain (thanks Paul for the information), I had never seen one before. This one is rigger modified with accoustic earcups, oxy mask snaps, white goggle straps and a white crest that goes from the back of the helmet to the the front for decorative purposes I assume. In the VF-1 book there is a picture of pilots wearing deck helmets with the exact same type of modifications.

VBF-1 squadron, Lindquist is second row from bottom, fifth from left. I forgot to mention that they flew Corsairs.

His combat team:

bazelot

bebel said:
I would say that this one could be one of the finest in your collection.

Franck

Yes it is in the top 5 helmets I own and the history that came with it just the icing on the cake...