• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Tanker Sizing Question

269sqnhudson

Does anyone know the span of sizing in original WWII tanker jackets,in other words what's a large for example (40-42?)
If anyone has an original which is still tagged with its size can they let me know the pit-pit measurment?

I'm trying to figure out which sizes in the repros equate to an original L or XL. Would a WWII Impressions 44R match an original Large for example?

Thanks
T

Peter Graham

An original tanker is one I've always wanted. From what I've read they run at least one size larger than tagged. Sorry I can't be of more help. If you find one please post pics.

269sqnhudson

Peter Graham said:
An original tanker is one I've always wanted. From what I've read they run at least one size larger than tagged. Sorry I can't be of more help. If you find one please post pics.

You're right, they did from the looks of it.
I'm compiling a few Pit-Pit measurements from a few originals for sale/sold (only the bonafide WWII ones, not 50s onwards of which there are many purporting to be WWII) Here's where I am:

1. Pit-Pit 24"
2. Pit-Pit 26"
3. Pit-Pit 28"

I reckon the 28" must be an XL rather than L. I'd love to know if someone has a labelled XL to measure.

T

unclegrumpy

This is not going to help you much, but original tanker jackets were sized like A-2's....38, 40, 42, and so forth. However, their size tags did not hold up well, so as far as size, most are a guess. Plus like A-2's, they differed by manufacture, and like A-2's, sometimes some seem to have randomly chosen size tags.

Most original tanker jackets have a heft and feel about them. I have looked at a number of the repro tanker jackets over the years, and tried on a number of them. Most were sized small, medium, and large. I never bought one, because I never thought the quality of the materials...mostly the thinness of the outer cotton and the inner wool....were close to the quality of the originals. I do remember seeing a Japanese made one, probably a Buzz Rickson, that was very very close to an original, but it was resized for the Japanese market, and really short in the arms and body.

I think would be interesting is to ask for reviews of the current repros out there, and then address the question of size.

269sqnhudson

unclegrumpy said:
This is not going to help you much, but original tanker jackets were sized like A-2's....38, 40, 42, and so forth. However, their size tags did not hold up well, so as far as size, most are a guess. Plus like A-2's, they differed by manufacture, and like A-2's, sometimes some seem to have randomly chosen size tags.

Most original tanker jackets have a heft and feel about them. I have looked at a number of the repro tanker jackets over the years, and tried on a number of them. Most were sized small, medium, and large. I never bought one, because I never thought the quality of the materials...mostly the thinness of the outer cotton and the inner wool....were close to the quality of the originals. I do remember seeing a Japanese made one, probably a Buzz Rickson, that was very very close to an original, but it was resized for the Japanese market, and really short in the arms and body.

I think would be interesting is to ask for reviews of the current repros out there, and then address the question of size.

'Fraid not chief. They were sized Small, Medium, Large. The only original labels you will see are sized like this. Here's one example:

http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Reviews/WW2ImpWCJ/Images/OriginalWWIITankerJacketLabelII.jpg

I've had 3 Buzz Ricksons, 2 from ATF and 2 from the old run of WWII Imp. I've ordered 2 from the new run of WWII Imp which look great on paper. In doing research on the originals I can't seem to find an XL, only Small to Large. That's the main crux of the question, did an XL exist and how big did they go?(rather than what was the sizing format, that was definitively not 42,44,46 etc)

unclegrumpy

269sqnhudson said:
'Fraid not chief. They were sized Small, Medium, Large.

No so fast Governor, you are only partially right! There are several models of WW II tanker jackets, and the 1st models are not sized small, medium, and large.

My feeble brain may have momentarily slipped out of gear, but it is not entirely faulty. It was locked on to the readable tag of one of the original tanker jackets I looked at last week....the fellow had three, and one was a minty 1st model.

You are right about the later jackets. However, what I am sure of, is that I have seen/owned tanker jackets that were not sized small, medium, and large that were not 1st models.

What I can't remember is if there are two or three versions of this jacket, or just early and late second models. I had an original size 46 hanging in my closet for a number of years that was not a first model, but now I am curious where it fit into the family tree.

I have never made an intense study of these jackets, and it now makes me wonder if my jacket was a middle version or a WW II era private purchase. It came directly from the Estate of a guy who was an Armored Major in WW II, so I never thought too much more about it, because I knew it was the jacket he wore.

Anyway, here is an example of a 1st model Buzz Rickson....

buzzfirsttanker.jpg

269sqnhudson

What manufacturer was the first model you saw last week? Can you find out at all, I'd be interested to know. Some first models could have been sized differently, that's true, BUT I've never heard of any original Tanker with standard chest sizing before, could be a first. I'd like to see some evidence

T

269sqnhudson

I had an original size 46 hanging in my closet for a number of years that was not a first model

Also, what was the manufacturer of this one you had and/or any more details from the label? As you had it for several years I'm hoping you can remember.
T

unclegrumpy

No idea of the manufacturer on either....never thought about registering it in my brain.

While I have had a number of original tanker jackets over the years....sadly most without readable tags....you have clearly studied these jackets a lot more than I have. I would not think that the sizing would differ by manufacturer, since the sizing breakdown would be specified by the contract, but maybe they do differ.

Interestingly, as far as your XL question of the later model tanker jackets, in just looking in the 1943 QM Catalog, there is no mention of the size range. The 1943/44 AAF Class 13 Catalog has them for AAF jackets....and in a very quick look, all are in chest sizing.

269sqnhudson

unclegrumpy said:
No idea of the manufacturer on either....never thought about registering it in my brain.

While I have had a number of original tanker jackets over the years....sadly most without readable tags....you have clearly studied these jackets a lot more than I have. I would not think that the sizing would differ by manufacturer, since the sizing breakdown would be specified by the contract, but maybe they do differ.

Interestingly, as far as your XL question of the later model tanker jackets, in just looking in the 1943 QM Catalog, there is no mention of the size range. The 1943/44 AAF Class 13 Catalog has them for AAF jackets....and in a very quick look, all are in chest sizing.

Hmm that's the problem. The D1 mechanics jacket and trousers go Small, Medium, Large only which is why I wondered. Can you let me know the details of the AAF Class 13 Catalog, are the tankers actually officially listed as AAF items? That's really interesting.

unclegrumpy

269sqnhudson said:
Can you let me know the details of the AAF Class 13 Catalog, are the tankers actually officially listed as AAF items?

No, tanker jackets are not in the AAF Class 13 Catalog....sorry for not being clearer. My point was really two fold in comparing the information in two similar 1943 period Army publications. The AAF Class 13 Catalog goes into sizing while the QM Catalog essentially does not, and that most of the sizing it does go into for jackets is in chest sizing.

Both of these Catalogs have been reproduced, so you should be able to get copies. Here is a link to the AAF Class 13 Catalog:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/bk9-US-Army-Air ... 0594502038

foster

Sorry to post in an older thread, but from what I recall the Tanker jacket (the later and more produced model, at least) was made in 5 sizes:
XS
S
M
L
XL

Somewhere in my library I have the catalog info with the stock numbers for the respective sizes.

foster

There are four sizes. Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large. Stock numbers are:
55-J-100 (Large)
55-J-110
55-J-120
55-J-130

I cannot remember what sizes correspond to the individual stock numbers. The 1943 QM catalog goes into detail, but I cannot find my copy at the moment.