• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original patched HLB M-445

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Original patched HLB M-445

This jacket is parked down at Real McCoy/The Few, waiting to be copied for it’s Japanese owner.

The unique detail is the sleeve leather reinforcement patches sewn into the
shoulder seam like a B-3, not like other makers where they are about a ½ “ away.

Pictures courtesy of Bristolherc ……

M-445.jpg

M-445close.jpg

STEVE S.

thats the late m-445a thru the m-445b version of the jacket with the short zip & two buttons. i didn't know these were produced early enough to be a flying tigers era jacket. anyone know for sure? just curious.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
STEVE S. said:
thats the late m-445a thru the m-445b version of the jacket with the short zip & two buttons. i didn't know these were produced early enough to be a flying tigers era jacket. anyone know for sure? just curious.

I know it was discussed earlier, but I still think that this one, with the buttons, came first. It's the logical progression.

cheaterome

Er... Ummm....can I be the turd in the punchbowl..... or at least the snickers bar in the pool.????

It might also be concluded that such a heavy garment would benefit greatly by having buttons on the bottom after the pilot sat down in the cockpit to unbutton so he could have greater freedom of movement.. kinda like a double ended zipper. So a later addendum of sorts, namely the "A" and "B" contract buttons were added later.

Anyone who has worn one of the heavy jackets can testify that they bind up at the bottom when zippered causing the jacket to ride up into your armpits making for some pretty uncomfortable wearing.

In photographs of guys wearing their early m-445's in the AVG , they have the red Hells Angel on the left breast of the jacket.
ALL jackets have the diamond reinforcements elbows with no buttons at the bottom .. Namely the earlier versions.

That is a later war garment. The early ones had diamond reinforcements at the elbows and members of the 3rd pursuit squadron wore them in Kunming an the later stages of the AVG.
There are shots of group members wearing the early jacket in Feb. 1942.

Plus I have seen a lot of original Flying tigers and AVG stuff at a certain members house who lives in Chi -town and that is no AVG patch and if it was a AAF Flying Tigers they would be sporting the 14th Af tiger with the lighting bolt on the shield background.

I am SUPER appreciative of Bevan snapping these photos and you for sharing these and I don't want to make it seem unappreciative because i just know Mr. Bevan has privy to a LOT of cool stuff there in NZ from one of the greatest jacket companies that cater to the most enthusiastic collectors but something just ain't ringing right.

Jerome

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
cheaterome said:
It might also be concluded that such a heavy garment would benefit greatly by having buttons on the bottom after the pilot sat down in the cockpit to unbutton so he could have greater freedom of movement.. kinda like a double ended zipper. So a later addendum of sorts, namely the "A" and "B" contract buttons were added later.....

Oh yeah, now I remember, that's right ... Thanks Jerome.

And the buttons were replaced by snaps on the later AN-J-4's, as the buttons would break, and were difficult to use whilst wearing gloves.

John Lever

How did they create that shoulder seam ? Conversations with Will at Aero and Paddy at RMNZ lead me to believe that the folded seam detail on these jackets is very difficult to achieve, some machinists actually breaking down in tears wile sewing.. The additional layer of goatskin would make it even harder. Could the arm patches be a replacement with the top seam being glued in place ? The colour looks rather grey compared to the pockets.

A

Anonymous

cheaterome said:
Er... Ummm....can I be the turd in the punchbowl..... that is no AVG patch and if it was a AAF Flying Tigers they would be sporting the 14th Af tiger with the lighting bolt on the shield background.
Yep, spot on, I don't think this is what it seems.

Otherwise, I don't think I've seen a pic of an original 1st AVG wearing a 445. If you have pics would be really interested in seeing them.