• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Patch Question

2jakes

WW2 CBI 14th A.F. Leather Flight Jacket Patch . 5 ½ inch.
vr5w79.png

Seller describes as being "original" . ( $260 top bid so far )
I emailed to ask him how it was
guaranteed to be original ?
He replied, "Because I got it from the pilot himself "

Not having experience with this ,
does anyone know if there are other means for
authentication or verification of originality or is
it just word of mouth from someone that is not
known to me & trust that it's original ? Thanks.

a2jacketpatches

It's got the look of the originals with a shield background. A little odd being on a disk but that may be a plus, who knows, a special request maybe. On the other hand, I could duplicate that if I really put my mind to it.

shedonwanna

Looks like vintage to me. The leather looks correct and the design is similar to others I've seen. The seller also has a leather CBI and cloth chit that look legit. Ask him if the CBI and chit are from the same vet. The price is getting to the high end without a photo or something linking to the veteran.

Give a2jacketpatches some vintage leather and watch out! Check out his eBay store.

EMBLEMHUNTER

I would ask him who the "pilot" was , if he did get it from him he should have his name and some info , then you could look him up and see if he was in the 14th AAF .
Johnny

2jakes

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
I would ask him who the "pilot" was , if he did get it from him he should have his name and some info , then you could look him up and see if he was in the 14th AAF .
Johnny

Good idea !
I just pm with the question .
Hopefully will get a reply !

2jakes

The response was "the winner of the patch will get that and more information".

I don't understand the logic….I thought knowing the pilot would give validity to
enhance the selling . All this does is makes me wonder. I have never bought
an original patch & would like to know from those that have experience buying
originals….is it simply , word of mouth or is there more ? Thanks.

a2jacketpatches

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the tiger in this design is that of the 23rd Fighter Group. Tex Hills jacket has a near identical tiger but with a shield and lightning bolt, same suede, yellow paint trimming the wings, etc. I have a good feeling about this one because of these details and the fact that it's and odd variation, shortcut to make a 14th AF out of another tiger. Very believable in my opinion.

Also, not giving out the vets name is a good idea believe it or not. I have dog tags from the Navigator of the Argonia, a D-Day C-47 that dropped 82nd AB troops. He also sold me his Lux wings, ribbon rack, nice set of English made wings, and other doo dads. I still have them now but attempted to sell many years ago. The guy was bombarded by several disrespectful Ebayers trying to see what else he had. This wouldn't prevent a winner from doing so, but would limit the amount of intrusive telephone calls. Last time I'll make such a stupid mistake, Mr. Foynes wasn't very happy with me, God rest his soul.

2jakes

a2jacketpatches said:
Not sure if anyone noticed, but the tiger in this design is that of the 23rd Fighter Group. Tex Hills jacket has a near identical tiger but with a shield and lightning bolt, same suede, yellow paint trimming the wings, etc. I have a good feeling about this one because of these details and the fact that it's and odd variation, shortcut to make a 14th AF out of another tiger. Very believable in my opinion.

Also, not giving out the vets name is a good idea believe it or not. I have dog tags from the Navigator of the Argonia, a D-Day C-47 that dropped 82nd AB troops. He also sold me his Lux wings, ribbon rack, nice set of English made wings, and other doo dads. I still have them now but attempted to sell many years ago. The guy was bombarded by several disrespectful Ebayers trying to see what else he had. This wouldn't prevent a winner from doing so, but would limit the amount of intrusive telephone calls. Last time I'll make such a stupid mistake, Mr. Foynes wasn't very happy with me, God rest his soul.

Thanks for your reply,
I'm trying to understand why giving out a name is not a good idea.
What is the relation between disrespectful Ebayers wanting to see what else
he has & wanting to know if the patch is original ?
I don't mean to be disrespectful & things that are written can be interpreted
in many ways.
Not having experience in these matters , I rely on you & others to help me.
I enjoy this forum very much .
Sincerely ,
Jake

a2jacketpatches

2jakes said:
a2jacketpatches said:

Thanks for your reply,
in many ways.
Sincerely ,
Jake

Just saying that there's people out there, and in the case I mentioned, that use the info to track down the vet and his family looking for gold. I'm sure all you plan to do is research the guy, but others would look him up, call, and try to squeeze the vet for his stuff (if still alive) or his family (who likely just buried him) A lot of the old timers have phone book #s as well and are easily found that way. I know an unscrupulous guy on Cape Cod that would track obituaries, look up phone #s, and Call the families pretending to be from a museum. He had a special chart he made on poster board to keep track. Also used a few other techniques that would make you want to hunt him down and give a piece of your mind. Granted, most aren't this bad, but quite a few out there lie to get a foot in the door. I wouldn't be happy to hear from anyone looking to get the stuff my dad left behind especially if he just passed, likely the case at this point in time. You've got to respect this point of view and remember that a lot of these guys don't want to talk about it. Another time, I bought a huge Vietnam grouping, but not until after the vet himself removed anything an everything with his name on it.

2jakes

a2jacketpatches said:
2jakes said:
a2jacketpatches said:

Thanks for your reply,
in many ways.
Sincerely ,
Jake

Just saying that there's people out there, and in the case I mentioned, that use the info to track down the vet and his family looking for gold. I'm sure all you plan to do is research the guy, but others would look him up, call, and try to squeeze the vet for his stuff (if still alive) or his family (who likely just buried him) A lot of the old timers have phone book #s as well and are easily found that way. I know an unscrupulous guy on Cape Cod that would track obituaries, look up phone #s, and Call the families pretending to be from a museum. He had a special chart he made on poster board to keep track. Also used a few other techniques that would make you want to hunt him down and give a piece of your mind. Granted, most aren't this bad, but quite a few out there lie to get a foot in the door. I wouldn't be happy to hear from anyone looking to get the stuff my dad left behind especially if he just passed, likely the case at this point in time. You've got to respect this point of view and remember that a lot of these guys don't want to talk about it. Another time, I bought a huge Vietnam grouping, but not until after the vet himself removed anything an everything with his name on it.

It never occurred to me about that . I have a Dad (WW2 vet) & I understand now.
For your great details & patience with me...
Thank You.

a2jacketpatches

"It never occurred to me about that . I have a Dad (WW2 vet) & I understand now.
For your great details & patience with me...
Thank You."

No problem at all, I would have never got it myself if not for the mistake of posting up the guys name or rather his dog tags. And also having the displeasure of knowing such a scumbag who was so proud of himself for being so devious.