• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original L.W. Foster 7823(AER)

sobrien

Hello, am a newbie here. I come by my love of USN leather jackets by birth. My dad was a USN fighter and ASW pilot after WW2. He continued wearing his G-1 until he put on some weight. I wore it back in junior high but quickly out grew it. With his passing last year I received most of his aviation related belongings, including his log books and his G-1. I thought I might share some pics. It is his second jacket. The first he received in 1945 while in flight training. He had it until sometime in the mid 50's when it was stolen and he was issued the Foster.

I have a few questions.
Anyway to find out what year it was made?
And, is there any one who could make copies of the squadron patches?

Sean

Here's a picture of him when he qualified for his wings of gold in August,1946.

and here's a picture of him in 1952 while Exec of VS-22 with the Philip Morris midget: I've always wondered who the maker was. Any guesses?

So the Foster was issued after that. It has USA stamped on the back of the color, and the left pocket is noticeably bigger than the right. Before I new better, about 20 years ago I had a new zipper and the knits replaced so my dad could wear it to his ANA meetings. It is here modeled by my son, it no longer fits me.

Here is some better views of the squadron patches. I did find a copy of the VS-22 patch but it really doesn't compare with the orignal.
VS-22

VBF-17? VF-6B/ VF-62

a2jacketpatches

Hey Sean, I'm Sean. Quite a few guys here that'll give you the straight skinny on the jacket. I do Squadron patches in multi-piece leather and pretty much corner the market with this method. A lot of guys painting very good quality stuff as well so it's a matter of personal preference. If you wanted embroidery as seen in your photos, I'm sure there's a few resources for that. For starters here's a few examples of my method.

TOMG1401

Wasn't Platon made to vanish for doing the same thing you do, Van nailed you right on the money. Try to be less obvious, you're embarrassing yourself

Roughwear

TOMG1401 said:
Wasn't Platon made to vanish for doing the same thing you do, Van nailed you right on the money. Try to be less obvious, you're embarrassing yourself

Well said. The Classified and Reproduction Manufacturer sections are for vendors to advertise their items. I am pleased to see that I am not alone in getting fed up with threads not in these two sections being hijacked by vendors.

bfrench

Administrator
John Lever said:
We welcome entrepreneurs here but let's keep it in the correct section please.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Thanks, John,

I was just about to post and saw your entry.

Sean, a2jacketpatches, you of all the members know the rules so let's stick to them.

a2jacketpatches

TOMG1401 said:

The guy asked right here in this thread otherwise I wouldn't have said a word, that's the beginning and end of that.

And like Van, Tom, you seem to be following me around with no other intention than to harass, still have no idea what he's saying from below in my dungeon but I'll send you there now to keep him company.

All moderators and self appointed moderators, Please look back into this thread, you'll see how I'm simply answering the guys questions with a few pictures and information. I mention the several patch painters here, an embroidery service, and the unsurpassed jacket knowledge here....(Andrew) also, a direct link to a NONA2JACKETPATCHES!!!!!!! Repro of the unit he's after. Now if 8 pages later I'm still trying to drive home the same old thing, maybe it's time to for me to get a grip.....elc....v....hilts...hint...hint....nudge...nudge... ;) Seems like hijacked is a strong word for dropping a single post of information and link that was asked for, that would have been the end of it for me and Andrew could have gone on forever about the contract specifics in great detail, he's actually got a physically existing label today.

When promoting my new items without an inquiry, I make use of the Reproduction Manufacturer, and Jacket Art / Patches sections without exception as per policy. But yeah, when a direct question is asked in any thread, very excited and proud of my work so I jump right on it and I see no rule anywhere that states otherwise. Nothing to be embarrassed about, repro and original jacket decoration is my forte and what I have to offer on this forum. Speaking of which, I have to wonder why nobody uses the PM feature on this forum but finds it necessary to attack me publicly and completely off the thread topic? and moreover, why not use the handy ignore feature if ya don't like what I have to say? Seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

And actually Tom, you are wrong, Platon's demise had little to do with your wrongful advertising allegations. I happen to know why but would hate for this guys first topic to spin off into nowhere more than it already has. I will answer you , I guess the way you both expect me to answer Sean's inquiry about his jacket and who can reproduce patches. Needle through the endless posts and threads here to find it yourself.

And Sean, I know you're new here but you'll have to do the same. I'm really just trying to Jedi mind F***k you into buying my patches as if I don't have a an 12 week wait. No....just kidding.......here's a link John Chapman sent me a few weeks back. I hear these guys make some amazing stuff and do single pieces as well for a reasonable price. I'd actually recommend them before anyone else as USN patches were almost entirely embroidered. They had very strict guidelines to follow and very few were theater made. Very sorry your first post turned into kind of a hen house, I certainly didn't mean for it to and just trying to help. Good luck here.

http://www.patches-military.com/

bfrench

Administrator
a2jacketpatches said:
TOMG1401 said:

The guy asked right here in this thread otherwise I wouldn't have said a word, that's the beginning and end of that.
SNIP

Yes and if you had said "I do - Here's a link to my info" that would have been the end of it.

Like I said before you know the rules and if someone else had don this you'd be screaming foul.

That's as far as this goes.

a2jacketpatches

bfrench said:
a2jacketpatches said:
TOMG1401 said:

SNIP

Yes and if you had said "I do - Here's a link to my info" that would have been the end of it.

Like I said before you know the rules and if someone else had don this you'd be screaming foul.

That's as far as this goes.

Sorry Bill, didn't see that one, I'll review the rules.

"I do, here's a few links to my info" But I really would look up my other suggestions, they would be more appropriate for your project.

http://stores.ebay.com/a2jacketpatches/
http://www.jbmilart.com/
http://www.bbb.org/southern-nevada/busi ... v-90026468
https://www.facebook.com/A2jacketpatche ... 772936035/

sobrien

Well, I'm sorry for any discord I might have aroused. I was not offended or felt bullied into anything.

The reason I wanted to know about patches is because I would like to make a tribute jacket that I could wear. I fall into the 42/44 size range depending on the jacket. I have a W&G 55j14 I was thinking of using but now would like to find an original L.W. Foster 7823(AER). I will post my inquiries in the proper forums.

Thank you for your help.

a2jacketpatches

Don't think you did anything wrong Sean, and don't think I did anything wrong either. Maybe a little overboard with 4 of my pictures, but the FACT is that I WAS trying to steer you in the right direction with links elsewhere and not mine. I really don't need to sell myself here as the benefits are minimal, I'm just a patch guy with lots of patch info.

Don't recall ever screaming foul even when Platon was blatantly belittling other products to aggressively promote his own, simply don't care. But cyber-stalking who'syadaddies with an unhealthy interest in me? Yeah....that's just creepy.

Believe me, for the few guys on here that like to bust my chops, there's a couple dozen that support me on the sidelines. They just keep it on the low down and do their best to avoid irritating the upper echelon members here.

Hope the links were helpful.

Vcruiser

I knew it was coming....
You did nothing wrong. It was everyone else...including moderators who wronged you. Then instead of putting your latest links in the Manufacturer's Section, you post them on this same thread in defiance rather than referring the OP to your links in the 'Manufacture's section'.
It seems that you consider these VLJ threads as an open extension of your other sales platforms, as Platon did, regardless of some member's objections. You saw nothing wrong with it then, and completely OK with it now. You follow your own rules. We can only look forward to more of the same.

a2jacketpatches

Great first impression fellers, everyone bent out of shape but the author. :roll: And yeah Van, I'm sure whatever????? you're talking about was extremely helpful to him and on topic.

a2jacketpatches

Cool, very glad to be of some help. PM me or contact through one of the links if you'd like to join some friendly flight jacket groups where everyone will pretty much stick with what you're inquiring about. Most of them used to frequent this forum at one time or another. Lots of good sound advice and loaded with enthusiastic artists and vendors. After all, what keeps this hobby going?

TOMG1401

A point of education Sean, (Patches), Van and I have been on all the itineration's of this Forum dating back over 15 years and have had a few disagreements within those times, I respect him, as I hope he has some measure of respect for my posts, what you do is outside the boundaries of what this Forum is about. Unfortunately somewhere along the way it became OK for various persons to use this space for their own personal agenda, I will repeat what I posted years ago, Chris did not fund this Forum with that purpose in mind, you refuse to respect that as Platon did, the moderators, Bill in particular has enough class to delay putting the hammer down on you , I would not. You have become tedious.