• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original G-1?

Lorenzo_l

Hi all,

I think I can probably use some advice from you people. I have a near-mint C-series Star Sportswear G-1 which I love. Before buying it, from a FDL member, I searched the contract number in this forum and found it. As one original G-1 is never enough, I searched for another one and came across what appears to be a mint, and as per the vendor's description, unworn, D-series Brill Bros, G-1 on Ebay. When I searched the G-1 contract number thread in this forum however, I could not find it! Furthermore, on the label, the contract number looks darker, as if somebody has tried to cover it with black marker:

0wJfESA.jpg

Judging by other pictures on Ebay, the jacket looks right but still....What do you people think? Is this an original? Many thanks!

Lorenzo.

Roughwear

It is an original Brill Bros G-1. The contract dates to 1968. These G-1s are commonly seen so reproducing one would not be good economic sense!

Lorenzo_l

Many thanks, Andrew. Then this contract number is not on the list of the G-1 contracts thread?
How does the quality of Brill Bros. G-1s compare to, say, Star Sportswear G-1s for the same series? Would this jacket be a good purchase at ~US$ 150 if it was in mint condition?

Lorenzo

oose

Yes original like Andrew says, is it cow or goat, I have never been tempted by Brill Bros G-1's as the later E models tend to be the thick rolled cow, The Star Sportswear are very good quality goat but all the D and E series do suffer from the declining quality materials such as lining and the introduction of the dylon collar. I've heard good reports on the relative quality of the Martin Lane, but I have never owned one.

Stuart

Last edited:

Roughwear

Many thanks, Andrew. Then this contract number is not on the list of the G-1 contracts thread?
How does the quality of Brill Bros. G-1s compare to, say, Star Sportswear G-1s for the same series? Would this jacket be a good purchase at ~US$ 150 if it was in mint condition?

Lorenzo

It is in Full Gear p.125. Star Sportswear was a well respected maker producing quality jackets. Brill Brothers was not in the same league.

Marv

I own a 1971 D series Brill Bros made from goat but with the Dynal collar - the jacket was manufactured during the cross over period when goat was being faded out for cow so it's a bit of a hybrid.

Contract suppliers were using up old stocks of goatskin and D series contract labels whilst introducing the new specs such as the Dynal collar etc. its a lovely well made jacket and a great daily wearer.