• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Bronco 29191

B-Man2

It was a slow evening so I thought I would post a few photos of one of the original A2 jackets in my collection. Here is an original Bronco 29191 A2 jacket . According to Gary Eastman’s Book “Type A2 Identification Manual”, Bronco Mfg Co was awarded this contract in May of 1942 for a quantity of 59,000 jackets. The total award was valued at $472,000. with each jacket costing a whopping $8.00 each! The jackets in this contract were made from a mix of horsehide, cow hide, and goatskin. The zip was a Crown M-42, No 5 , auto -lock. The jacket was made without a collar stand. The jacket is the horsehide version and is in excellent condition. The size is a hard to find size 46. Please feel free to comment or ask questions. Hope you enjoy the photos.
Cheers
B-Man2
AFC2E2E5-F7CD-4021-8D8A-0687C03321F2.jpeg

Last edited:

Skip

That’s super sweet Burt, and looks a good wearer too.

What’s your normal size in a repro? Reason I ask if going for an original I’d opt for a size up maker depending. The Bronco is a more modern cut but still athletic in design from what I’ve read, still looking sharp without being too restrictive

Pilot

Thats what I am looking for....as on original..this kind of condition and size....
Superb jacket, thx for sharing.

SuinBruin

I'm a sucker for Broncos, and this is a beauty. Amazing grain. Given the dark seal color and decal it looks like it might be a depot redye. Thanks for sharing!

Carl

I'm a sucker for Broncos, and this is a beauty. Amazing grain. Given the dark seal color and decal it looks like it might be a depot redye. Thanks for sharing!
I thought the same thing but as im not one of the forums "experts" i didnt want to make that assumption ! :(

Pilot

Wow, amazing. Also a Bronco fan.
Depot re-dye...? But would they have bothered to paint so cleanly and inside the pockets also...?
Redyed ? sure?
Amazing jacket, but re-dyed? ...why so?
Are the knits original?
thx and cheers

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Burt, thanks for these photos, it's amazing jacket. Looking at it we can see that some reproductors still have much to strive for in attempts to carefully copy nuanses ;)
Interestingly, does all zippers on this contract was Crown only or may be partly Talon?

B-Man2

Burt, thanks for these photos, it's amazing jacket. Looking at it we can see that some reproductors still have much to strive for in attempts to carefully copy nuanses ;)
Interestingly, does all zippers on this contract was Crown only or may be partly Talon?

Dimitry
The only reference material I’ve found really helpful regarding what zippers were used is Eastman’s A2 Manual. From what I gather Bronco used only crown zips for this contract. Maybe someone here has some additional information that would like be helpful.

When I first purchased this jacket, I also thought that this might be a depot re-dye however after closer inspection of the inside of the pockets and where the lining meets the leather, I didn’t find any of the usual tell tail signs of overdying. So I’m fairly sure that this was the original Seal color from Bronco.

Thanks everyone for your comments and kind words.
Cheers

Edward

good lord what a beauty! please tell how you found such a perfect specimen! I bet you were ecstatic!