• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original B-15D MOD (with new photos added)

greyhound52

So took a chance on this one that it would fit. Based on the measurements it is about the same (actually a tad bigger) than my size 40 B-15B MOD. So I think it is ok. Looks to be in excellent condition. Here are the photos from ebay. I should have it next week or maybe Sat.
p1010333.jpg

p1010334.jpg

p1010335.jpg

p1010336.jpg

watchmanjimg

Re: Original B-15D MOD

Fantastic, George! I had no idea you were the winner. Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Weasel_Loader

Anytime the inside decal is still present, it must be in pretty good shape. Nice grab George! ;)

greyhound52

Weasel_Loader said:
Anytime the inside decal is still present, it must be in pretty good shape. Nice grab George! ;)
That is what I thought. Also the outside decal on the sleeve is excellent as well. One thing I noticed was the different color knit on the collar than on the sleeves and waistband. Just like the BR B-15D mod

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

Glad you got that, George ... great jacket, with provenance, and it was a good price.

I think it was just overshadowed by it's mysterious little friend, with the patches.

greyhound52

deeb7 said:
Glad you got that, George ... great jacket, with provenance, and it was a good price.

I think it was just overshadowed by it's mysterious little friend, with the patches.

Yes and that was good for me. Plus I got a 8 percent off coupon thanks to ebay. Makes it even better. Hey what is the going price for a BR B-15D MOD? I paid 375 for a used one in excellent condition over a year and half ago. Sorry I sold that jacket but then this one should take the place nicely

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

greyhound52 said:
Hey what is the going price for a BR B-15D MOD?

Who knows .... but for a test pilot's jacket, with the colonels rank insignia, and in that condition.

... it has to be cheap. :)

dujardin

ouch what a beauty...
sorry for my ignorance heuuuuuuu i mean my poor knowledge, can you remember me from wich period is this jacket, just end of ww2 or post ww2, korea ???????????
many thanks
byeeeeee marcel

Cobblers161

Nice catch George, appears to be in lovely condition. I'm looking forward to seeing some decent photos. Well done that man.

asiamiles

I wouldn't hesitate dry cleaning a Buzz if I thought it needed it. If originals were marked "dry clean only" then presumably this was considered a suitable method for cleaning and was carried out when required; I would guess Buzz are just covering themselves in case something goes wrong. Dry cleaning will make a decal faint for one thing, but I actually prefer them like that.

dujardin

deeb7 said:
dujardin said:
... can you remember me from wich period is this jacket ...

Mid-1950's, Marcel.

many thanks David,

so to avoid confusion in my small brain, which NYLON one started end of WW2 and what was his color, green or blue ? and the liner was green or orange ? i'm still a little bit confused with all those similar model of jacket, as with the L2-B and the MA-1
ps : i forget to thank you for your answer on my post concerning those two last jacket sorryyyyyy

byeeeeeee marcel

greyhound52

tamoko said:
Very nice and rare jacket in great dcondition.
Can you wear original B-15D in sz40 ?
B-15 C and D fit smaller then early A/B. Interesting early neylon like L-2, L-2A, B-15,A,B fit larger.
This Jacket from same grouping like first L-2B insz38.
http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3548

I had a B-15C in size 40 and it fit just like my Buzz B-15C mod (same dimensions) and it fits fine. I had a B-15D in size 44 and it was huge. So hoping this one fits like the B-15C sz 40. Yeah you are right the L-2 I have size 40 fits fine, my L-2A size 42 fits but is a little on the big size could have worn a 40. However, the L-2Bs are all over the place in fit.

watchmanjimg

dujardin said:
deeb7 said:
dujardin said:
... can you remember me from wich period is this jacket ...

Mid-1950's, Marcel.

many thanks David,

so to avoid confusion in my small brain, which NYLON one started end of WW2 and what was his color, green or blue ? and the liner was green or orange ? i'm still a little bit confused with all those similar model of jacket, as with the L2-B and the MA-1
ps : i forget to thank you for your answer on my post concerning those two last jacket sorryyyyyy

byeeeeeee marcel

Marcel:

Here's a quick explanation to the best of my knowledge:

The original lightweight nylon jacket was the green-lined L-2, which was olive drab in color. The L-2 was followed by the blue L-2A in the early 1950s, and in the mid-1950s the sage green L-2B was introduced. As we recently discovered right here on VLJ, the earliest L-2Bs apparently had OD lining but this was followed by grey lining in the 7448A, B, and C revisions. The first orange-lined L-2B is the 1960 7448D Skyline contract.

Intermediate nylon jackets followed a similar timeline and color progression with the B-15B, B-15C (seen in both OD and blue) and the sage green B-15D. Many examples of the B-15 family were modified in the 1950s by the substitution of knit collars as standardized in the MA-1. Although it was introduced with green lining, for some reason the MA-1 took a bit longer than the L-2B to appear with orange lining (8279C Skyline 1961).

Hope this helps!

TankBuster

Great jacket. I was interested in it, until I got the body
length measurments. If a B-15C sz 40 fits you, I'm sure this
one will work just fine! Nice Score!!

greyhound52

TankBuster said:
Great jacket. I was interested in it, until I got the body
length measurments. If a B-15C sz 40 fits you, I'm sure this
one will work just fine! Nice Score!!

Jeff,
Yes they tend to run on the short side. My Lion Uniform MA-1 size Large runs a bit short. But my 1963 MA-1 does not. Must be a 50s thing.