• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Aero 42-18775-P

Roughwear

This jacket is from Aero's last Wartime contract for A2s, awarded on 25th May 1942. The contract was for 50,000 and I wonder how many have survived to this day. As with Aero's preceding two contracts cowhide was used in this contract. Some jackets had rust knits and others a mid brown. This jacket had moth-eaten knits so I replaced them with the ones shown below. The rest of the jacket is original. The leather has developed a beautiful patina and remains strong, yet supple. The M-41 Talon zipper is perfect. My question for you guys is what size do you think it is?

STEVE S.

I've got one in a size 44. Tag is long gone but been looking for a few yrs now for a replacement. I have the full history of the original owner on this one.

CBI

Steve - looking nice as well. I have an original Aero size 44 as well that I really like!!!

Roughwear

tagged a 46, but fits as a 44. the replaced knits look pretty damned good, andrew, where did ya source them from?

Thanks Vic, but the pocket tag does not say 46. I sourced the knits from a guy in the USA who sells them on Ebay. I think we discussed him last year.

TOMG1401

Amazing, 3 large AERO contracts used cowhide, when for so many years the argument raged on these Forums that Cow was never used, Voila', now no problem with accepting more were probably Cow than Horse. I still don't understand how one can distinguish if a single jacket is Cow or Horse, what has changed ????????? Andrew , how in particular did you ascertain that particular jacket is Cow? I don't doubt it, just curious.

Roughwear

Yes, carry out a DNA test on the leather! It is the only sure way. Gary Eastman's book has the evidence for DNA testing of A2s. We know that even before the US entered the War cow hide was permitted for A2s in order to fulfil contracts.

TOMG1401

Why do you think this was debated for so long, it always made plain common sense to me that cow would have been used, I always viewed it as a case of why not, not why. Be interested in your opinion.

Silver Surfer

many, many years ago, i was pilloried for suggesting that cow was used to make a-2s. to me, the most obvious examples were aeros, as the ones i had, and have handled, were often heavier and felt different then most other originals. when i discussed this with chappy, he said that indeed, there were letters to and from contractors, and the aaf discussing cow. that was good enough for me. gary [elc] had several hide samples, from several originals tested [see his book for the actuaries], and yup, cow, and plenty of it was used, and by different contractors. are all aeros cow? probably not, are all ??? horse? with out proper testing its guess work unless there is something that really feels different, and is kinda chunky in weight. as noted above, it only makes sense that cow, goat and horse were used during wwll.