Original A-2 Spun Silk Lining

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by 33-1729, May 8, 2017.

1. WBOONE

WBOONE Member

At our local A.F.B museum where there are several originals on display, i did notice a manikin dressed as a WW2 aviator with a original A2 on that, the best i can tell where the jacket hangs open a bit on the front, the lining seems to be a crimson silk type fabric. It;s definitely not the "tobacco brown"/ "mustard colored cotton lining. I cant tell which contract it is."

2. WBOONE

WBOONE Member

Also, i had heard that the original spec called for silk, but as it was more important to use the available silk for parachutes once the US got involved in the war, the use of cotton was approved. I've always assumed the A2 on display was a pre-war version when silk was still used.

3. 33-1729

33-1729 New Member

Silk was preferred over cotton as a parachute material because of its higher strength to weight ratio. In this case top quality, long, reeled silk is used versus weak, damaged or other poor quality silk waste made into spun silk that is carded and woven from a collection of smaller filaments (like wool or cotton). The A-2 lining was to be made from the waste spun silk and not parachute quality reeled silk.

Nylon was developed before WWII and in 1942, thanks to Adeline Gray, nylon began to replace silk as a parachute material. Apparently there was quite a run on nylon stockings at the time (no pun intended).

http://works-words.com/NSM-WIKI/WP/...eded-by-silk-is-replaced-by-nylon-parachutes/

WBOONE likes this.