• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions On Possible Eastman House A-2 Purchase

Technonut2112

I do not have the luxury of 'higher-end' jacket purchases as often as I did in the past, but circumstances have given me the opportunity to do so at this time. :)

I have my eye on one of Eastman's House A-2 offerings in 'Havana Brown'. I have owned a couple of Eastman A-2's in the past, but ended-up selling them on. I am particularly impressed with the grain of the horsehide used, and think it can only get better and better with wear, and age. The jacket was not listed as having 'Warhorse' used, and I assume it's just standard hide, which surprises me compared to what I was used to seeing 6 or 7 years back (very smooth hide).

The jacket is currently on eBay, and could very well be owned by a member here. I do know that the seller is somewhat flexible in his price, since I shot-off an offer, and was told what the rock-bottom price is... but not by much less than the buy-it-now price. I figured before going 'all-in' right now, I would ask for some opinions here before making a commitment.

The jacket is still basically brand-new, and still has the tags attached. One thing I remember from my other ELC's (besides the highly placed pockets), was that the knits were not the greatest in the world, and would become loose much sooner than other maker's jackets. Does anyone know if the current knits are improved? The pocket placement on this one is a bit higher than I like, but not like the older ones I had, and wouldn't bother me.

If you had the opportunity, and may not be able to make another jacket purchase in this range for awhile, what would you do? I know many 2nd hand GW's come available in this price range, as well, but none ATM on the bay. Would you hold on to your $$ and wait for something else, in actual contract repros, place a 'WTB' on the classies here, or go for the beautifully grained, and brand-new Eastman? No one has bit on this one, but there's plenty of watchers. It ends on Tuesday morning. Here's the link. Most of you probably have seen it, and if not, go-for-it if it interests you.. It would make up my mind for me if you did... :p ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22218228178...I222182281784.N43.S2.R4.TR12&autorefresh=true

Technonut2112

Mods, feel free to move this to 'Auction Talk' if you think it would be better there, since it is eBay related. I was thinking 'General Discussion' for some reason when I posted...

ausreenactor

For that price you could probably grab a DD/GW item or a good used GW? Jacket MIGHT attract some offers. In the absence of a sale you have some weight to hit up the seller for a lower price.. JM2c

Technonut2112

For that price you could probably grab a DD/GW item or a good used GW? Jacket MIGHT attract some offers. In the absence of a sale you have some weight to hit up the seller for a lower price.. JM2c

Thanks for the reply. I checked the past sales for used Eastman jackets on eBay, and saw prices between $350.00-380.00 for some, and others a bit higher. One looked to sell for $999.00, but I see the same jacket for sale again by the same person. Don't know if it was returned or what.

I may look into a DD. From what I've seen he does good work. A nice, used GW in my size would be great also. I picked up a GW Perry awhile back, which was excellent, but the measurements were off from what I was expecting, and it was too large. That's what kind of worries me about a 2nd hand jacket from eBay. Maybe I will post a WTB here, since the members are more knowledgeable regarding correct sizing, measurements, etc...

On the other hand, the Eastman House jacket I'm posting about has INCREDIBLE graining, consistent on all panels, and is basically brand-new. If I were to purchase one from Eastman, it would set me back well over a grand (which I don't have to work with). Damn... Decisions, decisions... :confused:

Technonut2112

Well, looks like things aren't meant to be regarding the Eastman. I went ahead and attempted to purchase it for the rock-bottom asking price of $660.00, after a deal for a Morgan Productions A-2 autographed by Col. Robert Morgan (pilot of the Memphis Belle) also fell-apart, and I'll be damned if the seller wasn't called out of town for the next 10 days, and couldn't ship until then. :( I don't like being up-in-the-air, with my $$ paid out, since I've learned a long time ago that anything can happen. Especially in 10 days..

I think I'll crawl back under my rock for now...:rolleyes: I do have an inquiry in with DD... perhaps it may work out...

Last edited:

Technonut2112

Well, sometimes things work out for the best in the end.. I awoke this morning to find an e-mail showing a forum member contacted me. To my surprise, I was offered a great deal on not only one, but 2 VERY nice GW jackets to choose from, right in my price range. :D

Some nice folks here for certain! :) I ended up going for a sweet GW Rough Wear in JC's dead-authentic Indian goat. I always wanted a nicely patched jacket, and this one has one of the talented Sean Collins' 74th FS, 23rd FG patches! :cool:
Here's the link to the jacket:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_rw_0005.html

I am pleased beyond words. I need to settle-down some... There's only so much excitement this 53 year old heart can take in a day! :p

EDIT: I used to own a RMNZ Rough Wear in horse some years back. It pained me to sell it when needed, so I'm quite happy to have another RW in goat. :) Here's a pic of it and me once upon a time:

bvintage2007001%202_zpsifqm6rjl.jpg

Last edited:

Technonut2112

very nice looking jacket.

Thank you... :) The Indian goat RW arrived the other day. OUTSTANDING jacket. The condition is just like seen in the link I provided above at JC's site. It fits me well, and has all of the small details of that particular contract addressed. Right down to the paper RW tag in the pocket, proper genuine triple-marked straight-puller Talon, and period United Carr snaps. :cool:

This particular contract was completed in the spring of 1941, making the Flying Tigers patch (a work of art in it's self) quite plausible, and proper to be applied on this RW... Of course, I'm sure that JC was aware of this when he sewed it on. ;) This jacket is indeed '1941 in a box'. :) The forum member even shipped it in the GW packing box.

I'll post some pics when time allows..

Last edited: