• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on Color Please

rjbaal

I have a GW Bronco on order. I am having a tough time choosing whether to go with russet or seal color. While I tend to prefer th darker color, I want authenticity. Thus, which color would be more historically accurate for this contract :?:

Thanks in advance

Rjbaal

A

Anonymous

rjbaal said:
I have a GW Bronco on order. I am having a tough time choosing whether to go with russet or seal color. While I tend to prefer th darker color, I want authenticity. Thus, which color would be more historically accurate for this contract :?:

Thanks in advance

Rjbaal

Horse or cow? I think you could flip a coin, or let John decide. If you look at the different shades of originals you'll see they vary a bit. What I think doesn't really matter (it's your jacket) but I would opt for russet.

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2detail2.html

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2images/br_front.jpg

greyhound52

Having owned one original Bronco and seen several others I would vote for russett since that is color I have seen. Either way you will have a super jacket.

A

Anonymous

rjbaal said:
TankBuster said:
I agree. Most original Broncos I have encountered have been russet. ;)

Just curious, has anyone seen Broncos that where not russet?

I have seen them in various shades of Russet (pale red-brown to medium / dark brown) but not seal. But I'm sure someone here will prove me wrong.

khiattP-51

I do believe there's a piece of original documentation out there which specified a color called "town brown" for the A-2. I think we get too hung up on trying to classify colors as either russet or seal brown. Most information out there leads those new to this game to believe the A-2 must fall in to one of the two categories. Kind of like saying if something isn't black, then it's white. Or, in our case if it isn't really, really dark almost black brown, then it's a light reddish "russet." Further complicating things, digital photos taken by regular folks with regular digital cameras tend to overly compensate the reds. Making our pictures (without color corecting in PhotoShop) of our jackets appear more red than they are to the naked eye.

Of all the originals that I used to own, still own, or seen in person, most are a dullish medium to dark brown. - "town brown." I've seen jackets as light brown as a Cable Rain Coat which was caramel to dark tan (but also heavily worn) and as dark what most call seal brown (like a dark chocolate bar, but not black) on an Aero 21996. But, never an overly red, rust orange or black shade of hide like on some of the repros I owned. Yuck! That was always a major beef with me. Getting the right color is where the look all starts for me.

I've also learned from John that getting that simple dull "town brown" that's not too red from a tannery ain't as easy as you'd think. Fortunately for us, John worked his butt off and made the tannery get it right. If you want horsehide that's as close in color to the 'average' original Bronco, then go with the "town brown." I'm not even going to call it russet any more!

-Kevin

better duck

If you have access to the original "Memphis Belle" documentary by Willy Wyler (easily bought through Amazon and the like and very much worth having, apart from the jackets) fastforward to the briefing scene: there you will see - in colour - several shades of A2 next to one another: russet and very dark brown. So, apart from the question whether Broncos existed in "dark brown", darkish brown was an original colour on at least a portion of the jackets produced.

Tim P

i think if you go for a 'russet' one but, as you have a choice with it being new, ask for something that is not polarised to the one shade or the other. Myself I am not a fan of red A2's, I quite like the neutral brown that you often see poughkeepsie jackets in. such a shade would lend itself well to a bronco.

SteveN

khiattP-51 said:
Of all the originals that I used to own, still own, or seen in person, most are a dullish medium to dark brown. - "town brown." I've seen jackets as light brown as a Cable Rain Coat which was caramel to dark tan (but also heavily worn) and as dark what most call seal brown (like a dark chocolate bar, but not black) on an Aero 21996. But, never an overly red, rust orange or black shade of hide like on some of the repros I owned. Yuck! That was always a major beef with me. Getting the right color is where the look all starts for me.

So how close is ELC's Cable A-2 to the ones that you've seen? I must admit, I like that shade, but wondered how authentic is is.

Cheers,
- SteveN

Roughwear

SteveN said:
khiattP-51 said:

So how close is ELC's Cable A-2 to the ones that you've seen? I must admit, I like that shade, but wondered how authentic is is.

Cheers,
- SteveN

Steve, I have owned an ELC goat Cable and the colour was wrong-too red and with purple tints in some lights. I have owned an original goat cable and it was more of a russet. Similarly my original Doniger, RW 18091 and Perry were not the colour of the ELC jacket.

Tim P

bear in mind that the ELC Cables come in quite a variety of shades, some of which make you recoil. the one I have, while to the red side (as russet must be) is less reddish and more caramel coloured than some you see and is a very good match for an example shown in the Jon Maguire books. I would absolutely not order a Cable on blind faith, rather I would see the example first. The ones I saw on the racks at Duxford last summer were better than the one I have in terms of being in the colour range of what you expect russet to be.
will attempt to post a pic.
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i122/ ... CN0786.jpg

There are two ELC Stars, bought that day, an OLD aero which I sold on this forum, and ELC house, an ELC roughwear and I am crouching in the cable

They are not however as bizzarre as some of the offering s from the Japanese which are basically toffee coloured.