• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Civi?

dmar836

Found this on a chair in a friend's hangar. No label and no pen pocket. Did have a size 42 cheesecloth tag in the pocket. Assuming it's just a civi of a navy pattern.

Dave

chamboid

Lowly jacket what ever it is. Definitely a An-J-3 style, the zipper dates it to mid-late 49's these were seen on a lot of the AAF cloth jackets, and some An-j-3a's

STEVE S.

its more or less a M-422a/G-1 without the fur collar. I have one of the W&G AN-J-3'S like the one posted above & it has the A-2 wind flap & epaulettes.

Nice find! That squared-off windflap top looks more like a 50's G-1 flap design then a 40's-era jacket would have...but I don't know nuthin', really. You found this in a friend's hangar?!? Wow...I mean..that is like barn-finding a Faliero Masi bicycle, or gold coins under the attic floorboards.

Dr H

Looks similar to my Doniger/McGregor M-422 (i.e. with symmetrical pockets, pleated back, but not mouton on the collar), albeit in a different hide, which dates from the early '40s.

dmar836

I didn't obtain it, I was just working in there with another friend on his Pitts and saw it hanging on the back of a folding chair. This has no epaulettes though and the lining didn't look contract to me.
It's probably still there - guess he wears it. I had just never seen it before and thought you all would know what it was.
When I see him again I'll ask where he got it.
Dave
P.S. I'd sure grab a Carlsbad Masi from a barn!

Dr H

The lining looks the same as my Doni/McGregor - an olive green rayon.
Is the waistband a replacement?

dmar836

Not sure. It's been a few weeks since I photographed it. It looks like it to me in these pics.
Maybe it was a contract jacket?
Dave

chamboid

Pocket flaps are much more Gordon & Ferguson if you look at the shape. It's not early enough 40's that it's the gaud/aubergine shaped conmar.

It's an interesting jacket