• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nylon differences

A

Anonymous

I have had 4 different original MA-1s since summer plus a Buzz Lion. My original 1968 Alpha and my Sportmasters 1969 both have the thickest nylon- I thought this was a fluke when I just had the Alpha which was old and dirty (I thought the sun and dirt made it magically get thicker) but the Sportmasters is almost mint and it also has very thick stiff and new nylon. I have a 1969 Satellite which is almost mint and it has definitely softer and seemingly thinner nylon- it almost justifies the thinner nylon on the Buzz Rickson Lion Uniform copy. My Alpha 1974 "E" model also had this same thinner nylon which is also basically like the nylon used in the Alpha Replica and Vintage series. Anyone else notice this? I feel it makes the Alpha "D" model from the mid-Sixties kind of the ultimate MA-1- with the thick nylon and beautiful pattern. Anyway- just some thoughts...

A

Anonymous

Just a tactile difference but very real- probable measurable with a micrometer. The only photographic difference would be more wrinkling of the nylon on the thinner stuff. My theory is that certain contractors got different nylon for different contrascts- I don't know if there was an official government 6/6 nylon or what- supposedly (according to Buzz Rickson's tag) the lion was made with 2/2 nylon...

rich

rotenhahn said:
supposedly (according to Buzz Rickson's tag) the lion was made with 2/2 nylon...

I'd be interested to learn the advantages of 2/2 over 1/3 etc. and why they were chosen. Have you seen their Skunk Works MA-1, the blurb about the Schoeller material is interesting, wonder if there's anything in it? (sorry, this is a crappy screen grab and not that easy to read)

LU.jpg

watchmanjimg

In my experience there's little rhyme or reason to the differences from one nylon shell to another. I think it depends mostly on the condition of the particular jacket, although I've encountered several examples from the same late 1966 MA-1 contract that seemed especially flimsy.

Peter Graham

Jeff, oddly, the Buzz Lion uniforms jacket I owned was very substantial with thicker nylon than any of my originals. For me, the ultimate orange lined MA-1 has to be the 64 Alpha contract with Crown zippers. It has great quality and cut.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rotenhahn said:
... My Alpha 1974 "E" model also had this same thinner nylon which is also basically like the nylon used in the Alpha Replica and Vintage series. Anyone else notice this?

There's always something new to worry about. :cool:

I started with the Sportsmasters as the benchmark, but couldn't find any noticeable difference with other MA-1s. The old Dobbs was perhaps softer, but certainly as thick. Even the Replica Alpha (B-15C) felt just as substantial ... are we sure that the Replica, and Vintage Alphas used the same nylon? I don't have a Vintage here, but I remember them as being thinner.

A

Anonymous

Weird! My Buzz B-15C MOD and my Buzz Lion MA-1 both had thinnish nylon- thinnest of all the discussed jackets. My Alpha '68 original has vey thick stiff nylon- the thickest of all the jackets I've seem. From the replies from you guys I guess there isn't rhyme or reason to it- although I would say it is too bad Buzz isn't still using thick nylon...