• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nothing on the list

CBI

Wow, it has been months with NOTHING on my "want" list, no jackets, no aviation stuff at all, NOTHING, nothing ordered, nothing "if I had some extra cash sitting around I would buy".....NOTHING. A few thoughts/considerations that only lasted a day or two. Still love the hobby, love aviation, the "want" part is gone TOTALLY bone dry at least for now. There is/are typically things on the list that are "serious maybe's"..........................nothing. I should be happy and I am but it feels funny! Still love wearing what I have, reading about WW2, etc. In regards acquiring....................NOTHING!

Are you guys feel'n it or not?

Roughwear

There is very little on my want list guys. I have not bought an A2, original or repro for quite some time now. Nothing I want comes up for sale these days and the weak pound has effectively put a stop to buying from outside the UK. The only thing on my RAF want list is an original 32 Pattern Mae West, but not for silly money!

John Lever

I was interested in the new Anj4 from Eastman but it seems not to be available for some time yet.
Several jackets on ebay in Europe, an Aero Anj4 a Pike Bros. Anj4 and a couple of 50 Cal. B3's have gone for very high prices. The Aero Anj4 went for £766 the others over £500. Even with the GBP being down in value, these are higher sale prices than I would pay. It begs the question if we sell a jacket do we up prices by 20 % to reflect currency valuation ?

I can't see myself buying anything new at all.

CBI

with the weaker UK pound, I was wondering if more folks are buying ELC in the US and other countries. They are sort of a margin right now at about $950 new (plus postage).

John Lever

There will be a short term benefit from buyers abroad for products made by UK companies. As fuel costs and imports increase in price this might affect prices. I think most sheepskin used in the UK is imported as is horsehide.

Last edited:

Roughwear

I would agree with this John. I can only see the prices of UK jackets going up. Once inflation takes hold wages will eventually rise too and this will affect prices further.

MikeyB-17

I am sorely missing a sheepskin jacket, especially now it's getting colder. I've sold all mine for good reasons, but top of my list when I have some disposable income is a B-3. I've tried D-1's, ANJ-4's, Irvins and M-444's, and none of them compare to my old Aero B-3. It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

Cobblers161

I think a lot of people, myself included, have been priced out of the new jacket market for some time possibly with the exception of Diamond Dave, for now at least (he makes exeptionally good A-2's that are well worth the money).

My eyes are on the used market where at least there is some element of fair price.

Brexit is going to hit us hard, it's only just starting to show, and like you say John prices will up and up.

Marv

I have been toying with the idea of a blue L-2A and did see a buzz rickson in size 46 but the measurements seemed huge for that label size so didn't pull the trigger, that's about it for me at the moment

Monsoon

I have been toying with the idea of a blue L-2A and did see a buzz rickson in size 46 but the measurements seemed huge for that label size so didn't pull the trigger, that's about it for me at the moment

The L-2 series runs big. I'm usually a 44/46, and I think I could easily fit a 42.

jschare

I wasn't in the market for or even looking for any and I've purchase 3 in the past couple of months. Well, one was the GW I'd been waiting for for two years. The other two just popped up at good prices. Both of them are ELCs; an HLB and a Star. Soooooooooooo.... I think I'm done for a while...

Skip

Waiting on 2 jackets that will finish the jacket scenario for me, Always on the look out for a good WW2 read though, mostly historical nonfiction (its amazing how much info is out there for a book, although Its a shame a lot of it will go with the passing generation).

In the meantime the corvette resto is taking centre stage these days.

Cocker

Dang, I'd wish to have nothing on my "want" list! I'm currently looking for a B-10 or B-15 jacket that would suit my size, a Pike Brothers 1937 Roamer pants, an early G1 jacket repro, yadda yadda yadda... Too many things, not enough money, far from it!

Jason

I'm digging cloth more than leather lately. But also won't say no to a nice non-UV faded N-2A, if one comes along at the right price. Just happy browsing, reading & learning for the time being, not actually bought a jacket for nearly four years now. Other hobbies are getting more of a look-in at the moment, especially since our summer is slowly approaching.

colekwok

When I look at the GBP /Euro/USD exchange rate this morning, all my urges have gone.

I think I will probably stop buying any new jackets and start enjoying my little collection for the next couple of years.

Cobblers161

Wow! The $ and € have taken yet another dip!!!

Perhaps the Brexiteers should watch the final Sex Pistols gig in San Francisco and take particular note of Mr Rotten's words at the end.

johnwayne

Brexit or not, new jacket prices IMO are unrealistic! I say that even though I've always believed in paying good money for quality but and I've wondered this for a long time, just how much does for instance, a £1000 jacket actually cost? I'm all for seeing great work justly rewarded but there comes a point when you have to stop unless money is no object. Brexit will have many benefits and money exchanges will always benefit one party more than the other, it always has!! So fortunately, there's nothing on my wants list either!!
Cheers
Wayne
Ps forget that last comment - still wouldn't mind a nice berry knit, seal A2!!!!

omarco

whilst i agree that prices are getting over the top, i am still hankering after a relativeley lightweight fleece jacket.. a nice B6 or an m444 ought to do it!