• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not just another GW post

dadgad

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
(F. Nietzsche)

gomez

Ok, Jacket - heads if you prefer. I can't afford any more enemies....It's a harmless obsession I've found as long as you pace yourself. ;)

A

Anonymous

dadgad said:
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
(F. Nietzsche)
Not exactly true when you are COPYING something Mr. Philosopher!

Curahee

I totally agree with all the above, it's just that some people (you who I mean ;) ) go on and on how perfect a certain
GW jacket is and then take a dump on another maker, oh lets say ELC and then the shit hits the fan......again and again.
and this gets sooooo tiresome :roll:

dadgad

rotenhahn said:
dadgad said:
(F. Nietzsche)
Not exactly true when you are COPYING something Mr. Philosopher!

Of course...but that applies also when you like something that someone else doesn't, thanks for calling me Mister.

CSG

gomez, apologies for getting you mixed up with someone else. It was just curious that someone on another forum started a very similar thread about GW today. My brief experience with that person over there was not great.

FWIW, Gibson & Barnes is reported to make a very good, if not 100% accurate, WWII A2 cut a little more for the modern man.

I'm holding off on doing anything because John may have a jacket to send me shortly and if it fits could be my A2 answer.

BTW, I'm just a lowly PP with about 100 hours and not current. My most exotic ride was the right hand seat of a C-421 with my old instructor (who flew charter runs for a few developers). Lots more entertaining than a 152 or 172. ;)

gomez

Hey Swoose, that was pretty good till you got to the cows nuts....lol. I have to go to work now. Would somebody please post some good pics of something like BR or the FEW for me so I can obsess for a while when I get home?

CSG, Gotta run now but I'll get back and chat about airplanes with you later, man. Lots of time in 400 series Cessnas.

greyhound52

Having own every ELC except their house model and Werber (Cable, 1401 RW, 27752 RW, Star, and Monarch) owned four Buzz Ricksons (Aero 21996 model and Roughwear 23380 model plus Buzz house styles), as well as a number of Aeros (1940 model, real deal, and their house model), RMNZ Roughwear , Monarch and Dubow, and even a Lost World Dubow I consider the GW jackets to be an excellent product. Do I have some issues with them...yes. But working with John is such a pleasure and for those of us interested in the difference between the yen/pound to the dollar a pretty good bargain. I can say I have an appreciation for all of these makers and still have a couple of buzz jackets, my one remaining RMNZ and three GWs. I really like the HH John is now using and consider this guys he has only been in the production mode for a little less than a year. I can really tell the difference between his early test stuff and his current production stuff. ELC has been doing this for many years and has a bigger budget and staff. John is a one man operation and I think does a darn good job. It is really an unfair comparsion between him and the other big time repro makers. I think his goatskin and HH is just much better (on a par with my bronco hide Buzz A2 which retails now for over a 1000 dollars). I don't think we need to dis other makers in place of our own fav. I think there is room here to enjoy all the variations of reproductions because they are reproductions. Even originals have variations as we all know. Not that I don't mind a spirited discussion on the variations hey that is what makes the forum an interesting place to begin with right????

hacker

gomez said:
C90GT King Air, and you?

I love 'em....flew King Air's for three years way back (F-90 and B-200) and have many happy memories........now, just tooling around in a Falco...
IMGP1685.jpg

Hacker

fishmeok

hacker said:
gomez said:
C90GT King Air, and you?

I love 'em....flew King Air's for three years way back (F-90 and B-200) and have many happy memories........now, just tooling around in a Falco...
IMGP1685.jpg

Hacker

Small world- I worked on the things for about 10 years on and off, mostly 1900D but quite a few of the little ones. Love the power, hate the lack of visibility in the cabin and cockpit, always felt like I was cramped up and trying to look out through the vision slits in a tank. Now a Caravan on retractable floats- that's the shiznit...

Cheers
Mark

Chandler

hacker said:

How'd them boots work onna pedals, Tex? I always had to switch to sneaks when I was learnin' (or at least, tryin' to).

Chandler

A

Anonymous

Dagdad:
... that applies also when you like something that someone else doesn't,

Do you have a new production Goodwear made to your specs by John or did you get yours second hand? Do you even have a Goodwear Aero for comparison? Are you comparing your Aero of Scotland to one of John's Aeros? Any originals? If you had a GW Aero, an Aero Aero and an original I guarantee you you'd see the difference in 2 seconds! The GW would be the one with the correct sized epaulets, the correct pocket flap shape, the correct thread, the correct pattern, the covered pocket snaps found on most original Aeros, the correct collar/windflap/zipper intersection and on and on... It's fine to like an Aero of Scotland but never be deceived that it's an actual copy...

HHjackets

greyhound52 said:
... he has only been in the production mode for a little less than a year... ELC has been doing this for many years ... John is a one man operation ... It is really an unfair comparsion between him and the other big time repro makers...

the way i see it is:
two jackets are being compared, eastman has been around 20 years or so and goodwear about a year but they both cost around the same price.
once you start selling a product about the same price as another in the market to compete, the person parting with a few hundred $$$ of his hard earned money is not gonna say: "they've only been around for a year, so i shouldn't compare the two".

A

Anonymous

King Air on jump run at 13 grand, door open, stall horn screaming and then you jump! Great fun.

jacketimp

greyhound52 said:
ELC has been doing this for many years and has a bigger budget and staff. John is a one man operation and I think does a darn good job. It is really an unfair comparsion between him and the other big time repro makers. I think his goatskin and HH is just much better (on a par with my bronco hide Buzz A2 which retails now for over a 1000 dollars). I don't think we need to dis other makers in place of our own fav. quote]

dastardly dis been done.........wot with opening pandora's box et al....................

hacker

Clark J said:
Hey Hack that's a getup you'd see climin out of Peterbuilt isn't it???????????????????

When you fly for an oil company based in Wyoming....well....when in Rome!

Shitkickin'flyguy