• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not a jacket but pretty interesting...........

Flightpath

Hi,

I'm not sure if you guys saw this cap on Ebay a few weeks ago but I fell for it and had to have it!

I have two friends who worked in the Antarctic, one was a Twin Otter pilot and the other was a helicopter mechanic, I always envied them!

This is a bit of a 'holy grail' for me as far as baseball flight caps go.
It has the pilot's name, navy wings, rank insignia, squadron, aircraft number and even it's mascot (the penguin) embroidered on it.

BuNo148319page.jpg

This aircraft, Bu.No.141319 was one of the first LC-130F aircraft to be made, equipped with skis for use in the Antarctic, it has a very long service history. After a take off accident it spent 710 days in the snow, was repaired and flown out to give almost 20 years more service!

'319' is now resting at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, last I heard is that ex-VX-6 crew members are trying to get it and have it as a memorial to 50 servicemen who died while attached to VX-6/VXE-6 in the Antarctic.

(I'm not sure how to find out about Lt. Commander Bill Simpson, any ideas?)

cheers & enjoy collecting,

-John