• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOS RAF Ditch Whistles

Stony

I just got these NOS ditch whistles in their original box.

RAFWhistlesandbox_zpsdbe8f2a1.jpg

RAFWhistles_zps8b7d2638.jpg

Also got this RAF headgear setup out of an old collection. Type C helmet, Type G oxygen mask & Mk VIII goggles.

RAFheadgear_zpse7f2da63.jpg

RAFheadgear2_zpsb51df25c.jpg

RAFheadgear3_zpsf11422eb.jpg

dujardin

good catch

splendid display ''head''

in perfect condition

take care ... you are close to get the ''virus'' ;)

Clark J

Come on Stony give us the story on those whistles!Don't need to know the cost but there has to be a story behind these??

Stony

Come on Stony give us the story on those whistles!Don't need to know the cost but there has to be a story behind these??

No story really other than they came out of a large aviation collection which there is tons more stuff I'm looking at.

Is that the story you were looking for? ;)

Stony

No link, but the collection is so huge they sent me a DVD with everything on it with pictures.

unclegrumpy

Stony said:
Is that the story you were looking for? ;)
Of course not!

The truth is these are the exceedingly rare versions issued only to the WAAF as escape whistles. Generally flying in flocks of four, it is almost unheard of to find a complete set intact, never mind being able to see an original box. Nicknamed "ditch" whistles by the American GI's, they were meant to be blown in an emergency, especially if it looked like they might be suddenly going down.

I had a neighbor growing up, who flew with the 5th AAF that married a beautiful Australian woman. She still had her whistle, and it was the ultra rare RAAF version. David had one, but I have never seen another, and who knows what ever happened to his. As far as hers, I could never get it. I think she thought she might need it again someday.

Stony

The truth is these are the exceedingly rare versions issued only to the WAAF as escape whistles. Generally flying in flocks of four, it is almost unheard of to find a complete set intact, never mind being able to see an original box. Nicknamed "ditch" whistles by the American GI's, they were meant to be blown in an emergency, especially if it looked like they might be suddenly going down.

Yes, and the WAAF "finger four" formation would be followed by a gaggle of American G.I.s who were "overpaid, oversexed and over there". :eek: This almost always caused the finger four formation to disperse and the G.I. gaggle would pick them off one by one. ;) Of course, the finger four formation ususally didn't mind in the end as the G.I.s were using bait like nylons and money. :shock:

unclegrumpy

Stony said:
Yes, and the WAAF "finger four" formation would be followed by a gaggle of American G.I.s who were "overpaid, oversexed and over there". :eek: This almost always caused the finger four formation to disperse and the G.I. gaggle would pick them off one by one. ;) Of course, the finger four formation ususally didn't mind in the end as the G.I.s were using bait like nylons and money. :shock:
And, that is why GI's were called "Yanks".....

Andrew

unclegrumpy said:
I had a neighbor growing up, who flew with the 5th AAF that married a beautiful Australian woman. She still had her whistle, and it was the ultra rare RAAF version. David had one, but I have never seen another, and who knows what ever happened to his. As far as hers, I could never get it. I think she thought she might need it again someday.

Curious to know what it looked like. The only type i've ever seen is this Melbourne made one I have and which has a leather fob with a button hole.

photo_zps909a4d1a.jpg

Nice find Stony, those whistles are amazing. I have a couple but nothing like that. They are also one of the most copied items, but obviously not these particualr ones. Also you got yourself a pair of MkVIII goggles with the Air Ministry stamp on the bridge- sure sign of WWII manufacture, as these were made and used well after the War. Looks as though your Collector mate had a good eye.

Stony

Nice find Stony, those whistles are amazing. I have a couple but nothing like that. They are also one of the most copied items, but obviously not these particualr ones. Also you got yourself a pair of MkVIII goggles with the Air Ministry stamp on the bridge- sure sign of WWII manufacture, as these were made and used well after the War. Looks as though your Collector mate had a good eye.

He has a bunch more Mk VIII goggles for sale, most of them as mint as mine. A couple of Mk VII too.

I like your Aussie made whistle too. Are they hard to find?

Andrew

Stony said:

He has a bunch more Mk VIII goggles for sale, most of them as mint as mine. A couple of Mk VII too.

I like your Aussie made whistle too. Are they hard to find?
This is only the second one of these I've ever seen, I don't have it handy but the other side has a manuf stamp and it was made by a wire works- name escapes me. I'll dig it out and post it.
I'd also be up for a pair of stamped MkVIII's, pm inbound