• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Northwear "G-1"

Banzai

This is an interesting find I picked up for under $50 a few years ago. It's an adaptation/facsimile of a G-1 jacket, made by "Northwear", a now defunct house brand of Nordstrom. I would place the manufacture sometime in the 1980s.

It has real wool knits (unfortunately with a few moth holes), and a quilted insulated lining. Tagged a 36, but fits like what I would consider a 38. Lots of nice features to include the inner chest map pocket, inner wind flap, and even the collar tab the Navy jackets have for cold weather. Underarm "footballs", bi-swing back/shoulder gussets, lower half-belt like the G-1.

As for the leather itself: It looks to be full grain, lacks the pebbled appearance of goat, and to me feels far too soft to be cow, but too hefty to be lamb. It has almost a thick feel (spongy?) for the softness. Some of the striations on the back look almost like capeskin, but I would think if that were the case they would have labeled it as such.

Anyhow, I don't know if it really "fits" here, but I was honestly really shocked by the overall quality of my under $50 find, and it's been in fairly regular rotation since.
image_123923953 (4).JPG
image_123923953 (5).JPG
image_40037873.JPG
image_123923953 (6).JPG

Last edited: